Exhaust Question

the best time to get an exhaust is when its stock. your hg's will thank you, and youll free up some nice hp even on a stock motor.

I would try to at least replace the down tubes .
You can get cat-less tubes or down tubes with cats.
from SCP or Tbird88, or have made or make your own.

I would make my own exhaust if I had to do it over
again.I think the exhaust that I bought from SCP.
Was one of the biggest money mistakes I made
when modifing my SC Bird.

I don't know if your building a dailey driver or for
performance. Tring to build for both you will loose
some performance.

For the street use or daily driver,
I would build a SCP syle ehaust.

For performance ,I would run down 2.25 or 2.5 downtubes.
then build the 2.5 tubes to go in a Y two 2.25 or 2.5 inlet
with a 3 inch single outlet. then go with a 3 inch pipe
back past gastank, and split to dual pipe with mufflers.

If you are building for or street or performance. Keep in mind
that the exhaust is the most heaviest part you will bolt-on
during your mods. So besides trying to reduce back pressures.
A bigger performance gain that can be had, Is the weight
reduction in exhaust parts or elimination of exhaust parts.

If you plan to run cats. you may not need to use a resinator
or use mufflers, or eliminate both resinator and mufflers.
But the exhaust will be loud.

When installing your exhaust. I think Its a good idea to use
the flat stainless steel exhaust clamps .The old stanard clamps
made from round steel stock with nuts. These type clamps will
crush a ring grove around the exhaust pipe connections. This
crush ring will make it ner impossible to take your exhaust apart later.

I use down tubes with cats and resinator for dailey driving.
And cat less tubes & remove resinator when I go to the track.
The stainless steel flat band type clamps cost more, but are
worth the extra money for maintanence reasons later on.

Randy

Last edited:
what I would do is get a custom exhaust made. get like a 3" exhaust all the way from your headers! that is if u know someone who is good and can do something like that for u at a resonable price. I got a flowmaster exhaust and I wasn't real impressed with it. Yes, it sounds good, but I didn't quite get the performance boost I was looking for. Also...do NOT forget a nice set of tips...not only does it set the look off, but it also keeps the exhaust from staying on the inside bumper and also keeps the sound down inside the car and gives it a nice growl. if u wanna see my flowmasters check out my cardomain page www.cardomain.com/id/wauseonbird. I have a few pics of it on there.

JG

what I would do is get a custom exhaust made. get like a 3" exhaust all the way from your headers!

Dual 3" from the manifolds/headers back would be excessive for his setup.

Curtis, if/when you do want to have a custom exhaust made for your car, I highly recommend House Springs Discount Muffler (south of St. Louis, in House Springs, just off Hwy 30). They have a guy that comes in on Saturdays to do custom work. I can't think of his name at the moment, but he owns a 89 XR7, and he absolutely loves these cars. He has done a few exhaust setups for me.

showcar20exhaust201.jpg

rearsuspension1.jpg

-Rod

Dual 3" from the manifolds/headers back would be excessive for his setup.

Curtis, if/when you do want to have a custom exhaust made for your car, I highly recommend House Springs Discount Muffler (south of St. Louis, in House Springs, just off Hwy 30). They have a guy that comes in on Saturdays to do custom work. I can't think of his name at the moment, but he owns a 89 XR7, and he absolutely loves these cars. He has done a few exhaust setups for me.

showcar20exhaust201.jpg

rearsuspension1.jpg

-Rod

what is the size of your exhaust if 3" is excessive? I have flowmasters and its like 2 1/2 and there wasn't much of a performance boost that I could notice.

what is the size of your exhaust if 3" is excessive?

The setup in those pictures is dual 3", but that car doesn't exactly have a 3.8L SC engine in it anymore. ;) That setup was actually overkill for the 4.6L DOHC V8 in its semi-stock form, however it will be completely necessary with the winter mods that I'm currently finishing up. Curtis knows what's going on. ;)

-Rod

For 300rwhp all you need is to replace your downtubes and resonator. The back half of the exhaust will be ok. Use 2.25" pipes. All together it shouldn't cost more than $400-500 installed with cats.

For 300rwhp all you need is to replace your downtubes and resonator. The back half of the exhaust will be ok. Use 2.25" pipes. All together it shouldn't cost more than $400-500 installed with cats.

Dave by the time you come to tune I'm going to either punch the cats and dump the exhaust under the car OR cut the cats out of the way and dump the exhaust under the car

On a side note I got my MAF today and it has a 42lb sitcker on the box :confused: I'm going to be putting 50's in the car

The setup in those pictures is dual 3", but that car doesn't exactly have a 3.8L SC engine in it anymore. ;) That setup was actually overkill for the 4.6L DOHC V8 in its semi-stock form, however it will be completely necessary with the winter mods that I'm currently finishing up. Curtis knows what's going on. ;)

-Rod

Curtis knows and Curtis has and will keep his mouth/keyboard quiet as long as I get an invite to the day when u tune. Please LMK as soon as u can so I can get off work, Also I need to install my SCT chip and I dont really feel like messing it up so if any STL person wants to help me with that I'd be glad to buy some beer (after the install) :D

Curtis knows and Curtis has and will keep his mouth/keyboard quiet as long as I get an invite to the day when u tune. Please LMK as soon as u can so I can get off work

You'll know the date as soon as I know the date. :D

-Rod

Back