'94 long block in '89

NickM

So, what all do I need to change on this motor to make it run in my '89? I have seen reference to timing cover being wrong because of crank sensor. Any other sensors I need to swap?
If I swap the timing chain cover, can I retain the later oil pump?
Will either exhaust manifold line up with my headpipes, or do I need to swap both?
What about cam? Should I swap my '89 cam into this engine? Any way to run the 36# injectors without changing MAF?
Picking it up on Saturday...93,000 mile complete minus blower for $100.

Nick

All you need to do is change out the harmonic balancer and crank sensor for the earlier style so that it will be compatible with your EEC. The earlier model sensor will bolt on with no problems at least it does on mine.

Also, from an electronics perspective, you may want to consider the EEC, crankshaft sensor, MAF, and injectors as a "matched set". Either keep this set from the 89, or transfer it over from the 94 (which may be a lot more work in the wiring department, because I don't think these different EEC models are pin-for-pin compatible).

If it were me, I'd keep the 89 EEC, and transfer the 89 crank sensor onto the 94. Also I think the 89 cam is hotter, so that might be worth swapping too. If you want to use the 36# injectors and a different MAF, I'd just get a custom chip to do that.

Thanks you both, that is the info I was looking for. After what happened with the '89, I wiil put new bearings in before putting it in the car, and count on doing head gaskets this summer (proactive).

Nick

I'm doing almost the exact same swap, 95 motor in an 89. As far as the MAF, it looks like if you want to run the 36lb injectors you'll need a new sensor because the transfer function is part of the EEC.

Check this out:
http://www.cnlperformance.com/73mm_tbirdsc.html

I know the 94 and up manifolds are different internally but I don't know if they are different externally. Do some searching here and I'll bet you'll find out.

Already swapped the manifolds. '94 passenger side outlet is same position, but different angle, driver's side is even more different.
I will keep these, port them, and install this summer (hopefully) with new correct headpipes.
Engine is sitting on stand all put together, waiting for the weekend. Pulled pan and checked bearings-all were in great shape. I was shocked to see an SC motor with more than 3 miles on it with no copper showing on the bearings (especially after seeing the '89).
Buttoned it back up, and will run it as is.

Nick

I did the opposite swap last year a 91 motor in a 94 car had to change both exhaust manifolds, balancer crank sensor and timing cover. crank sensormounting and plug were different. Oil pumps intercgange. Use what injectors and electronics that came with your ECM. If you have the late model blower that would be greatbut they will be injector issues.My swap works perfect with no trouble codes. Swap all sensors to be sure they will work with your old computer . Hopes this helps.:)

I did the opposite swap last year a 91 motor in a 94 car had to change both exhaust manifolds, balancer crank sensor and timing cover. crank sensormounting and plug were different. Oil pumps intercgange. Use what injectors and electronics that came with your ECM. If you have the late model blower that would be greatbut they will be injector issues.My swap works perfect with no trouble codes. Swap all sensors to be sure they will work with your old computer . Hopes this helps.:)

Thanks for the tips. The guy i got the motor from had got the whole shooting match from a yard just for the blower (putting it on a 5.0 Stang). The yard labled it as a '92 w/93K on it. I suspect the mileage is also incorrect, judging by the internal condition of the motor.
Leaving the '94 timing chain cover on, as the sensor for the earlier one bolts on to the block.
Keeping the blue injectors for later, but running my 30's for now.
Swapped my my PS60 oil pressure sensor (had already done the mod), and water temp sensor, knock sensor has same plug, and I assume same signalling, so I am leaving that alone.
They ahad already pulled the whole cam sensor assembly for whatever reason, so I have yet to re-time it, and it will get my existing cam sensor, and of course my DIS.
Be selling or giving stuff away that I don't need, ie: oil pan not drilled for level sensor, '89 long block w/it's cam, '94 top end harness, '89 fuel rail, etc.
Anyone wants anything, let me know.

Nick

Back