Time for motor mounts.......

crich

Got the SC up on jackstands this morning to look for the culprit of some popping noises in the suspension on the right rear and decided to check out the mounts while I was under it......well, the little tab inside the "window" is almost bottomed out. I have spent the afternoon doing searches on replacing the mounts and am all googled eyed from reading. So, I've orderded a set from Victor and i'm gonna start taking em' out in the morning.....anybody wanna come give me a hand. Like I mentioned, i've read alot using the search but any tricks or tips will be appreciated:D

A word of caution, when your breaking the fasteners loose, be sure to use 6 point sockets. The last thing you want is a booger headed bolt to deal with.
And 12 point 3/8 drive sockets can bust on this job. I'm in the process of doing my mounts also. I was surprised at the lack of contact area for the ground straps that are on each side of my 93. I'm thinking about adding some stainless washers to provide more contact area on the back side of the ground strap.

Good luck, and hope your knuckles survive better than mine :eek:

yeah, I'll be stopping at the store on my way home from work tonight for band-aids and beer:p

Me Too

I'm right in the middle of the motor mount project right now, too. I ordered my mounts from Victor, and am happy with them. In addition, I bought his transmission mount, and trans crossmember bushing kit. I'm also replacing the spark plugs and wires, belts, tensioner pulleys, O2 sensors, and negative battery ground strap while I'm at it. I suggest you at least do the plugs and wires. While I'm at it, I'm also upgrading to ported '94 exhaust manifolds and cat-less down tubes for my exhaust.

Since I'm going this far, I decided this afternoon to go ahead and do the head gaskets while I'm at it. At this point, I'm about 75% down to them anyway. I have a couple of weeks between jobs, and my shop fridge is full of Bud Lite!

Good luck and let me know if you need part numbers for any of the stuff I'm using. I just went through the research phase, and have everything pretty much bought.

JD

I finished my mounts tonight. Here are a few things that I did to get them in place.
1-jacked the motor up as high as I could get it to go
2-put some thread locker on the 2 bolts that hold the rubber mount to the bottom motor mount bracket.
3-on assembly, I first fastened the top motor mount bracket to the engine.
4-I temporarly removed the bracket that is on the front of the engine that the lower IC tube mounts to. This gives more room to work.
5-I left center nut on the top of the rubber mount loose, untill the bottom bracket was fastened down.
5-on the driver side, I had to use a board to pry the engine over a little, so the top bracket would go into position.
6-On the passenger side I had to lower the jack that was holding the engine up. this allowed the lower mount bracket to align for the thru bolt.
7-after everything was positioned and tight, I tighyened the center nut on the rubber mount.
8-I also put some stainless steel flat washers on the bolts that the ground straps mount to on the lower bracket. I was supprised at the small amount of contact area the ground strap had. Electronic stuff loveeeeees a good ground!

Thats my rambling for tonight---I smell like pb blaster and WD-40, I better hit the shower and and get in the rack

Happy wrench turn'in :)

i just picked my tbird up today with new mounts..i just dont have the patience for this job..the 1st time was 5 yrs ago and they let loose a month ago,i notice that its not as smooth at idle this time...im pretty sure they used the fluid filled mounts,might be soild rubber,i will look tomarrow..

If the shop used solid mounts, the engine will feel like it's idling a little rougher. Actually, more vibration transmits through the car with solid mounts vs. liquid filled ones.

Mark
'95 SC 5spd

The solid mounts that I got from Advanced auto are so tall that the driver side has the tang on the top bracket up against whats left of the snubber clamp. I bet it will vibrate like a roto tiller:p

will the vibration get better as they continue to flex up and down with use..or maybe its just been so damn cold they are like 2 pieces of concrete!!

Did you figure out the popping noises at the right rear? I've got the same problem on a '95, but haven't figured out what it is. Any help is appreciated.

David
'95 SC - 5-speed

Back