Trailer hitch?

my owners manual says specifically NOT to tow with this car??? wonder why.....maybe it would prematurely blow the head gaskets that fail anyways..

Due to the extra heat generated, the radiator, with the intercooler, is basically too small for pulling heavy loads... however, a bit of common sense, such as watching the temp and slowing down when it climbs too high, makes it possible. You shouldn't have any problems using a class 1 hitch.

Also, if you have an automatic and pull anything heavier than around 1000 lbs, you'll need a transmission cooler. I'm putting a class II on my white car. I'll let you all know how it works out. ;)

Last edited:
You will have to watch the boost guage closely to ensure it doesnt stay under boost for too long. It will make a ton of extra heat and shorten your HG life for sure. It can be done with a light trailer and some common sense but I guess to me its like driving your riding mower on the highway, so wrong. :D

This subject has been discussed indepth try a 'Search'
In addition to temps.
Be carefully when shifting from 3 to OD, as it will slip with boost.
Going up a hill with to much boost will cause the OD band to slip.
You will notice the RPMs suddenly increase when the OD band slips.

A lot of people use a receiver style hitch for a bike rack or something similiar. Just becuase you hav a hitch on a car doesn't mean you are going to pull something with it.

The problem with the SC is the rear bumper cover extends down so far that you will have a hard time finding any MN12 style hitch to clear it. You can get hitches from Valley, Hidden Hitches, U-Haul, etc. that are all direct bolt on for the MN12 chassis. However, the one I have on my '96 Sport just barely clears the bottom of the bumper cover.

Please don't cut a hole in your bumper cover for access to a hitch.

Thomas

got one for you...

Anyone know of a company that makes a trailer hitch for the super coupe?

If you really want one I have one on one of my birds. You can have it for $25 plus shipping from Milwaukee, Wisc. Let me know if you want it ofr not.....Rich

Please don't cut a hole in your bumper cover for access to a hitch.

Thomas

Ug, I saw one driving around town a while back with a hole sloppily cut right through the middle of the bumper cover and a hitch sticking through. I just shook my head in disbelief.

I ordered mine from u haul i think its a hidden hitch. took like a week to custom build it. the reciever slides in vertically so no hole to cut in bumper and you can't even tell its on the car with the reciever removed. i use mine as a jacking rail now since the car is lowered and cant get the jack under the body. plus i have a truck to tow with now too.

Here's my Class II hitch installed

The brand is Draw-Tite ordered from hiddenhitch. :cool: With and without the drawbar installed. Without the drawbar, there is a slight bulge in the middle, but hardly noticable and NO cutout.
Next addition is the oil cooler before I go pull anything heavy.

Attachments

• Drawtitesm.jpg
    Drawtitesm.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 119
  • BackSide3+Drawsm.jpg
    BackSide3+Drawsm.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 109
  • BackSide1DrawRemovedsm.jpg
    BackSide1DrawRemovedsm.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
The SHO manual also specifically states not to tow with it also, but we have been towing with it for years without a single problem. As much as 4000 lbs, but you have to take it easy.

Jason

Back