AC Compressor acts like a tea kettle!!

saboveed

I recently lost my radiator fan which caused the car to overheat... fixed the fan but now when I run the AC after 5 minutes it blows out AC oil from the release valve on the top of the compressor (right next to the spark plug wire pack)... Has anyone had that one happen to them... It's like a boiling teapot?

Saboveed
89 5spd 125k NYC

I have had the same thing happen to me, but it wasn't because the car over heated. My trouble was my orffice tube was stopped up. I got it replaced ot the local AC shop. A word of caution though, my orfice stopped up after my compressor fell appart on the inside. It wasn't too bad it only costed me $450.00 to get it all fixed and that was with a 20% emplyee discount. Biggin':D

AC Followup

Did the AC compressor work? My AC compressor works but then after 5 minutes it sprays like a tea kettle.

What happened was the compressor has several pistons in it and one of the pistons lost the nylon compression ring and it went though the condensor and ended up clogging the filter in the orffice. It blew off ten or fifteen times and then it went completely out. If your compressor losses a ring then it can still work, but it doesn't last long. In my case I had to flush the system and then replace the compressor, accumilator dryer, orfice filter, and relpace the oil and R134A. You may just have a clogged up system due to moisture in it. I would carry it to a certified AC tech to find out. I was lucky that my brother is certified through the Air Force and he helped me out a bunch. Find someone that you trust not to ream you and have them to check it out. The filter orfice only costs about $20 and comes as a kit that you put in line. I paid $45 to have it installed and to have the work I done checked out. That price included sucking down the system and recharging. Biggin' :D

AC Followup

How old was your compressor at the time this happened , was it stock, mine is three years old. I told my mechanic this and he said that the system probably overheated so I am keeping my fingers crossed that the condensor is ok...

It was 11 years old with 90,000 miles on it. It was the stock unit. As for it over heating that is possible, however I don't really see it blowing off when the engine isn't over heating. I'm not really an AC mechanic, but I don't think it can effect the AC long term unless it boils it off then and you don't repair it.
Biggin':D

I had this happen when I converted my 91 sport to an electric fan. The problem was the fan was not running when the A/C was on, and it was getting too hot. Verify your electric radiator fan is running when you kick the A/C on. It should.

Brian

AC FAn and Radiator Motor

I can't believe the cahin of events...

I replaced the radiator fan tonight and it does not work...took the old one apart and it was all burnt out. I hope I did not blow out the IRCM relay.... anyway I can't believe that the fan overheating casued my AC to overheat and know that's all screwed up...(see above posts)

I am relay hoping that I didn't do any damage to my heads..... that would be the end of this bird if thats the case....:confused:

93 MArk VIII- did you have aproblem with AC and /or radiator fan?

AC

If your ac was running when the fan went out, it hit high head pressure and released pressure. When this happened the relief valve went. If you have noticed the fan comes on as soon as the ac is turned on. It only takes about ten seconds for this to happen without the fan running. I had the same thing happen!. Verify that the fan is running! I had to replaced the releif valve in mine after the fan quit and all was fine. Good luck

Last edited:
Back