Fuel Injector O-rings

txsc

I'm doing the HG project on my titanium car, and ordered the FelPro HS9642PT gasket set. Does this set come with the fuel injector O-rings? I can't tell from looking at the tiny photo on-line. Sounds like several have recently bought/used this set, so hopefully someone can tell me.

If the set doesn't come with them, is this a standard parts store item? Also, is there anything I can/need to do to the injectors while they're out? The car was running fine before I tore it down, so I'm not trying to resolve any specific problems.

Thanks!

JD

It comes with half of what you need; ie, six when you need twelve to do both ends of each injector.

Nick

It comes with half of what you need; ie, six when you need twelve to do both ends of each injector.

Nick

True Nick, but they do throw in plenty of other stuff you won't use. like new seals for the valve stems and a couple of those stupid orings for the removeable ends of the IC tubes that nobody ever removes. :D

So, can I pick up the rest of the O-rings at the parts store, or are they a "hard to come by" item?

So, can I pick up the rest of the O-rings at the parts store, or are they a "hard to come by" item?

i second that. i didnt know they only came with 6.

and on that subject.....what do i do if i broke a pintle off one injector taking it out ?

True Nick, but they do throw in plenty of other stuff you won't use. like new seals for the valve stems and a couple of those stupid orings for the removeable ends of the IC tubes that nobody ever removes. :D

Hey now, I used those valve seals on mine when I did head gaskets, thought it couldn't hurt, then smoked the bottom end a week later...coincidence? Hmmmm....

Nick

Thanks, I'll pick up the other 6 at the parts store. And, for the record, I was planning on using the valve seals that came with the kit. Any reason not to?

JD

The pintle caps are a little hard to find, but I have seen them on a few websites. One guy that can prob. get them for you is Jeff (j57liter). Once I broke a cap and my mechanic scrounged a used one for me off a rail he had sitting around, because none of the parts stores had them.

The pintle caps are a little hard to find, but I have seen them on a few websites. One guy that can prob. get them for you is Jeff (j57liter). Once I broke a cap and my mechanic scrounged a used one for me off a rail he had sitting around, because none of the parts stores had them.

Yeah, while looking up the O-rings at the parts store today, we noticed that the caps are not available. We think the O-rings can be matched up when I bring in an injector. I just pulled my fuel rail/injectors a few minutes ago, and luckily none of my caps are damaged. Sure would like to have a spare set to put away, though.

Thanks!

JD

Thanks, I'll pick up the other 6 at the parts store. And, for the record, I was planning on using the valve seals that came with the kit. Any reason not to?

JD

The ones that I recall getting with the Felpro Upper gasket set were actually very good seals...if I'm not mistaken they are viton.

David

The ones that I recall getting with the Felpro Upper gasket set were actually very good seals...if I'm not mistaken they are viton.

David

Yes, they are Viton; not the black rubber umbrella-shaped junk I used to get in 440 head sets. Figured it wouldn't hurt to put 'em on since the heads are off.

JD

JD

I'm in the process of doing Head Gaskets along with you.
I just got my heads back today, I had .005 shaved off to get-em-smooth.
I hand lapped the valves today--I forgot how much time that takes.

I have to get some O-Rings also. You would think they would put 12 in the gasket pack. Have you given any thought to rebuilding your fuel rail with new hoses?

How did you motor mount job go?

Do you thing your O2 sensors survived the bad HG ?

Well Missery love Company, so good luck on your project.
I'll be glad when mine is back together, and I can get back to working on our Bonneville land speed racer.

Last time I did a SC engine I bought 6 seal kits that came with both O rings and the pintle caps at Napa.

JD

I'm in the process of doing Head Gaskets along with you.
I just got my heads back today, I had .005 shaved off to get-em-smooth.
I hand lapped the valves today--I forgot how much time that takes.

I have to get some O-Rings also. You would think they would put 12 in the gasket pack. Have you given any thought to rebuilding your fuel rail with new hoses?

How did you motor mount job go?

Do you thing your O2 sensors survived the bad HG ?

Well Missery love Company, so good luck on your project.
I'll be glad when mine is back together, and I can get back to working on our Bonneville land speed racer.

Well, I'm not going to do anything with my heads except clean them up a little bit for inspection, and install the new valve seals. I may give them a quick bench-lap. My engine was running fine when I shut it down, so there are no problems to correct. Of course, this is pending the head tear-down and inspection. If anything looks questionable, I'll address it. But, I don't expect any surprises.

Again, all I'm going to do with the fuel rail is clean it up and bolt it back on. No problems were evident when I parked it. The motor mount job was simple. But, I just kept unstacking parts until I could reach them from the top. Since my HG's weren't blown, my O2 sensors were probably fine. But, I went ahead with new ones since they are the originals (107K miles), and I was in the neighborhood anyway. However, I've read several places that if the HG's go, it ruins the O2 sensors.

My project started out as a motor mount replacement and quickly grew. So far, here is what I'm planning to replace:

Motor mounts (Spinning Wheels)
Transmission mount (Spinning Wheels)
Transmission crossmember mounts (Spinning Wheels)
Plug wires (Motorcraft)
Plugs (Motorcraft double platinum)
O2 sensors (Bosch)
Belts (all 3 - Dayco)
Tensioner pullies (all 3 - Dayco steel)
Head gaskets (Fel Pro)
Head studs (ARP)
Supercharger coupling (my spare)
Exhaust manifolds (ported 94's)
Down tubes (custom-fab cat-less)
Heater and oil cooler hoses (available brand)

I replaced the radiator, upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, and coolant last summer, so I should be good to go on that.

I have a couple of weeks off between jobs right now, so I decided now was the time to do a "preemptive" HG repair. My new job requires a 70 mile one-way commute, and I didn't want to get stranded in front of a big white cloud!

Good Luck,

JD

I pulled the engine from a low mileage 96 3.8 that had all kinds of leaks. rear main, front seal and had a antifreeze leak around the back of the passanger side head. Did a pressure test and what do you know it leaked like a pin hole around the gasket. Now the engine is all apart and only has 69k on it. The bearing are showing copper so just about everything is getting replaced. On a sad note some one used synthetic oil on a old engine and that is what caused all the oil leaks. Another thing I found out was they make slip rings for the crank and front seal. If you have a grove in your crank or balancer you will have a return oil leak. A cheap and effective item. Take a look at my head gasket. Can you guess what has been hitting the gasket by the pen tip?

Attachments

• gasket 003.jpg
    gasket 003.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 47
You can get the o-rings and pintle caps in a kit at www. partsamerica.com Here is the link. I would recommend replacing all of the pintle caps when you have the injectors out. The old caps tend to break when trying to put new orings over them.

David

Back