Replacement snout seal?

SenReg15

The seal on my SC definately needs replaced but I'm not sure where to get a new one. I called up Chicago Rawhide with the part number 7958. Lady said is was obsoleted and they didn't have one to replace it. I also checked on SCPerformance for the entire rebuild kit but I couldn't find it. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jeremy

www.glaziersmustangbarn.com Hit the web site and get the phone number. Call the really nice people tell them what you have and they will send you a new seal for $7.00. I wouldn't use that seal number just the basic info: year, model, make, etc.
Biggin'

:D You have got to call, it is not in the catalog that they send you.

The real good double lipped Viton seal is Chicago Rawhide #7968. It is about $25-$30, my auto parts stored ordered one for me.

Less expensive seals can be ordered (Chicago Rawhide #7966 or #7969, about $5), from Glazier's Mustang Barn. Just call (1-800-523-6708) and ask for the Thunderbird SC seal.

Replacement is very easy once you remove the supercharger pulley. I use a small nail and drive it in the seal to just puncture the metal. Do not go too deep or you will hit the bearings. Do this at 3 and 9 o'clock. Screw in two small screws (maybe #6 or #8). Then you can pull on the screws with pliers to get the seal out. Find a suitable piece of pipe to drive the new seal squarely back in. Watch that the lips of the seal do not hang up on the shaft.

I just bought 3 of the 7966 seals at a local supply company. The 7969 is for Europe only and not available here. I paid $20 for all 3 plus UPS charges. I haven't installed mine yet as it's too hot and humid to work on the car right now.

I used #7968. It is a nice looking seal. Napa ordered it in for me with no problem.

Denny

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll give a call to some parts stores and see if they can get one ordered. Thanks again

Jeremy

So the viton seal is better? I'll have to inquire about that where I purchace my seals.I know even the seal I get still slightly leaks and I'm very careful how I put it in but maybe I'm still doing somthing wrong.I cant stand somthing that leaks! :D

So the viton seal is better?

Yes, it's much better and will last longer.

While your at it, change that flimsy seal retaining wire to a real snap ring. Under high boost case pressure was causing my snout seal to push out towards the pulley and leak, the wire retainer would just pop out and allow the seal to move. Since adding the snap ring it hasn't leaked a drop.

Charles Warner at Magnum Powers can supply the snap ring.

David

I will concur with those that say go with the CR7968 seal. It's not so much because it's Viton, but more to do with the design of the seal.

It's a double lipped seal that uses a garter spring to keep a proper tension on the second lip. It's a quality seal. The stock replacement is single lip and not quite as stout.

The CR 7968 is double lipped aswell and also has a spring on it also but maybe what Dave says is whats happening to me aswell. I'm running 20% overdrive on the mag11 and I can see that happening.I guess I'll contact Charles since there are 3 Sc's in my yard!

Yes, the standard seal (and often in stock at places that carry CR seals) is the 7966. It is a single lip design. It costs less and is the stock replacement, but the double lip viton seal is a better part.

Ok Click :eek: I thought it was another seal made by somone else so I am getting the right seal all I have to do is get ahold of charles for the clips. I can get the CR7968 for $17.00 plus tax Can.

David Neibert said:

While your at it, change that flimsy seal retaining wire to a real snap ring. Under high boost case pressure was causing my snout seal to push out towards the pulley and leak, the wire retainer would just pop out and allow the seal to move. Since adding the snap ring it hasn't leaked a drop.

David

im planning on changing my seal and replacing the bearings with TBIRD88s kit, were can i find that snap ring at? any part number?

David Neibert said:

David

can someone give me a seal size to ask for when calling the local part store ? i wanna just get one local so i dont have to wait forever jsut to get the snap ring like im having to do with my seal.
pretty please with royal purple on top :)

yes snap ring size so i can replace the flimsy wire ring

i ordered my seal yesterday after calling 20 places in the phone book and no one could get a seal for my car, not even ford has a replacement seal. so i found a place that could atleast order me a Viton seal. i got the name of the place from a parts store and they wer able to get me one ordered.
the performance and machine shops around here can't even get the right seal for me :confused:

it if wasnt for help here i would never get this dam car back together lol :p

Last edited:
Back