Snout Seal

txsc

I did a search, and came up with the following information from previous threads:

P/N - Description
7965 - Cheapo
7966 - Nitrile
7967 - Nitrile
7968 - Viton - Best choice

I'm assuming these are all Chicago Rawhide P/N's. Is the 7967 still the best choice, or has someone come up with anything better? I'm going to try and order tomorrow.

Thanks,

JD

7967 is viton single lipped
7968 is viton double lipped

7868 is the best seal, but unless you live in very dusty conditions 7967 is adequate. I paid $4.33 for the 7967 and they quoted me ~8 for the 7968. I've had the 7967 on since 2004 and no issues what soever. I drive it daily in good weather.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to try and get the 7968 tomorrow. There's a bearing place locally, and their web site has a listing for it, as well as the engineering information, dimensions, etc. I'm guessing they'll need to order it, but shouldn't take more than a couple of days ... I hope. I'll probably buy 2 and put one away.

One more quick question on this subject. What's the best thing to use for sealant on the SC? I've done a search and found "RTV", and Loctite 51831. Anything better? Anything to avoid?

Thanks,

JD

Last edited:
I use Aviation Form A Gasket....

NAPA part #765-1210

Paint a little on each surface, let dry, then assemble......

No runs, drips, or errors.....:D

I use Aviation Form A Gasket....

NAPA part #765-1210

Paint a little on each surface, let dry, then assemble......

No runs, drips, or errors.....:D

here in bottom of the 9th with 2 on and 2 outs and on deck pinch hitting for Pedro Barbone, is Maney Moota!:eek:

Went to the industrial bearing place today for the seal, but it was going to take 4 days + freight cost to get one. The good news is that they gave me a couple of internal snap rings for free. I went to NAPA and ordered the seals. They'll be here tomorrow. I went ahead and got 2 since I was paying shipping anyway.

I can't find anyone who carries the LocTite product line. I checked NAPA, Advance Auto, O'Reilly; they all carry the Permatex line. I guess I can check AutoZone tomorrow. I thought everyone carried LocTite!

JD

Advanve should have it, it is a small squeeze tube. I bought a larger tube at a small local parts store.

If you can't find the loctite, a thin layer of copper RTV works fine too. Permatex makes some that is nearly the same color gray as the supercharger case, that I've used several times.

David

Thaks guys. I'm sure I can come up with something among this selection today.

JD

Went to the industrial bearing place today for the seal, but it was going to take 4 days + freight cost to get one. The good news is that they gave me a couple of internal snap rings for free. I went to NAPA and ordered the seals. They'll be here tomorrow. I went ahead and got 2 since I was paying shipping anyway.

I can't find anyone who carries the LocTite product line. I checked NAPA, Advance Auto, O'Reilly; they all carry the Permatex line. I guess I can check AutoZone tomorrow. I thought everyone carried LocTite!

JD

JD

What was the part NAPA number for your snout seal ?
I need one also---hope these things fire up when we get them back together.

I found a way to test the O2 sensors, before I choke and replace both of them.

Good luck

JD

What was the part NAPA number for your snout seal ?
I need one also---hope these things fire up when we get them back together.

I found a way to test the O2 sensors, before I choke and replace both of them.

Good luck

Snout seal P/N is Chicago Rawhide 7968. This is a good number at NAPA. Mine came in today, and I've got it back together with a new coupler and 5% pulley. I ordered a spare seal since the shipping was the same. Now I'm just waiting on my ARP studs...

JD

Back