Haven't Started it in a while...

Deep6

Like 6 months to be exact. What if any kind of problems can this cause for me? I use synthetic 5w-30. Just want to make sure that I'm not causing any overt damage to the engine because I didn't run it for 6 months. What do you guys recommend as far as starting the car every so often?

My XR7 sat completely dormant for 8 (eight) years before I bought it and trailered it home. The fuel smelled like stale varnish. I drained the old oil and installed a new filter, then put in some cheapo 5W-30 oil. I knew I'd be draining it out after an hour. I put in a new battery and hit the switch. It started up like I'd just driven it to the corner store. Settled in on a smooth idle with no problem. I dumped in 5 gallons if 93 octane, and let it run for a hour or so then changed the oil and filter again.

I'm betting yours will fire up just fine. I'd go directly to the gas station for a tank of new fuel, and change the oil when you get home. Six months isn't all that long, but if you do it again I'd treat the fuel with Stabil, and put it away on a full tank of gas and a fresh oil change.

JD

Actaully

I got the tank filled to the brim in Sept 05'. And the oil/filter was only about 1000miles old at the time. Since then, I ran it for an hour in Dec 05' again in June 06' and in aug 06'. So it's only been run 3 times since it sat. I did add Stabil fuel stabilizer after I filled the tank.

It's good to know that nothing bad will happen then to the engine while it's sitting at the moment.

I got the tank filled to the brim in Sept 05'. And the oil/filter was only about 1000miles old at the time. Since then, I ran it for an hour in Dec 05' again in June 06' and in aug 06'. So it's only been run 3 times since it sat. I did add Stabil fuel stabilizer after I filled the tank.

It's good to know that nothing bad will happen then to the engine while it's sitting at the moment.

Sounds like you did everything right. Should start right up and go when you're ready. I'd go ahead and change the oil after you warm it up to dispatch any accumulated moisture from condensation. That should about do it.

Good Luck,

JD

our 86 mustang sits in the winter for 4-6 months...we just start it every couple of weeks....actually..haven't started it in a month :eek:

do what the guys above said thats what we do every spring...

Back