Exhaust length reduction question

mega_man_01103

So I have an idea in my head regarding my exhaust setup as far as rearranging the way its "travels" to the rear. My idea requires to shorten the entire system drastically while in turn keeping all components (tubes,cats,res). Understand? My question is... what you guys think this will do to the car as far as performance, noise, back pressure, etc...?

Also, can any body provide me with a good picture of the enitre undercarriage? Cant seem to find a really good one.

Raul

Shortening it wont do anything to affect your performace. The restrictions are bends, tube size and choke points like the stock resonator that affect performace. You have to give out some more information if you want constructive imput.

Ken

Okay...Ill tell you guys!....

I was driving my friends dads viper about two nights ago and as I was getting out of the car I burned my leg from the side exhaust.:eek: Then the idea came to me. Try it on the T-Bird.

The exhaust of the viper runs from the headers to the side of the car then down. My idea is to run it down the center of the car then to the sides (This will prevent the burning of my leg). I plan on having the exhasut to come out just in front of the rear wheels, just like the T-Bird.

This idea is mainly for looks but Im curious what else could come out of it.

Raul

SuperXR7's exhaust is very nice. And it sounds pretty good. Unless you're chasing major HP, I think you'll be able to follow just basic good sense and not have any issues.

For undercarriage pictures, TCCoA has a bunch. go to this site and look at the exhaust pictures as well http://www.thundercoupe.com/[url]

Shortening it wont do anything to affect your performace. The restrictions are bends, tube size and choke points like the stock resonator that affect performace. You have to give out some more information if you want constructive imput.

Ken

I think this is the first time in history that I will disagree with you Ken. Not about the stock parts, but about the length. The length of the pipe will be a restriction as exhaust is indeed a fluid. Shortening it will decrease the backpressure, BUT...............................I dont think anything under 400 HP would notice.

Chris

I think this is the first time in history that I will disagree with you Ken. Not about the stock parts, but about the length. The length of the pipe will be a restriction as exhaust is indeed a fluid. Shortening it will decrease the backpressure, BUT...............................I dont think anything under 400 HP would notice.

Chris

I agree my statement was a little to iron clad. I really ment the diffrence in length would not be really noticed compared to remove restrictions like the stock cats and resonator. I have only seen one side exhaust that was done right (the link was posted earlier in this thread) and that involved some custom welding and fabrication. I really like that side exhaust and if I had another SC of my own I would run the exhaust just like that.

Ken

I had an idea kinda like that. The only difference with mine would be I have the Xenon ground effects kit. so I was thinking of cutting a hole in the ground effects and running the exhaust thru the side....much like the viper! lol. the only way u could get better hp out of the exhaust is to slant your exhaust towards ware u want it to come out so u dont have to bend anything. Yes it wont look as good, and it might drag...but u will probally get more power.

JG

I think going to a good true dual exhaust system should work for most cars. That said I have been thinking about shortening up my exhaust with some sort of side exits.:D

I agree my statement was a little to iron clad. I really ment the diffrence in length would not be really noticed compared to remove restrictions like the stock cats and resonator. I have only seen one side exhaust that was done right (the link was posted earlier in this thread) and that involved some custom welding and fabrication. I really like that side exhaust and if I had another SC of my own I would run the exhaust just like that.

Ken
Well...in that case, I could not agreee more.

Chris

Back