IC teflon gasket thickness

speedwagen

I need to make some gaskets to seal the flanges on my IC tubes.
I have seen pics in the forum of some parts that are cut from teflon sheet.

I was hoping to find out what thickness has been used, and if the material is the Virgin material or the stiffer mechanical grade that has some glass stiffing agent.:confused:

I would like to keep from having to RTV the tubes if possible.
I know there are parts available for sale, but I don't have time to wait.
I am borrowing garage space and need to get-r-done

the gaskets are about the thickness of 2 pieces of palstic milk jug put together. not very thick. and there isn't any glass in them. they are simpley teflon.I would just buy a set. sounds like your in a rush...and I don't ever recommend that on these cars. I reccomend taking your time and doing it right. or chances are you will wind up regretting it. just my .02

Rick

Is Wynn still around ... get tbirds gaskets

Anyone owning one of these cars must and I repeat must get the teflon gaskets ... they work ... they are awesome ... I 've had my tubes off and on at least 20 times w/o any problems at all ... the best part ...tighten everything up and your good to go ... not waiting for RTV to set up

Virgin Material works great .. you dont need it to be expanded, or with an adhesive side .. etched material doesnt seal well. It really doesnt matter what thickness you use, when you tighten it down, its going to seal .. the factory uses teflon tape on the IC tubes.

Wynn dropped off the face of the earth for now, but both Me and Tin Knocker still make the IC gaskets and Ive expanded to making all of the Intake sealing gaskets, but I wont be making them for much longer.

- Dan

Thanks for the reply on the thickness.
I have bought both 1/32 & 1/16 material to experiment with.

I put slots instead of round holes in the 3 Hole flange gaskets.
They are close fit to the studs in diameter, but have the slots to let the gasket slide on the studs as the clamp is tourqued down.

I can get parts like this laser cut if you guys get tired of cutting them by hand.

Hope to fire the engine this weekend. Once again thanks for all the help on this head gasket adventure. I'll do a write up with the hopes of passing the favor along to the next H/G newbie

Back