In need of a GOOD Crankshaft!!!

joshbea6

I'm wondering why there are precious aftermarket Engine parts for the 3.8 V-6. I'm trying to find Forged pistons and a forged Crankshaft for my SC, and I'm striking out everywhere. If anyone has any leads on someone who either has one, or can get one, please let me know. I'm going to be making engine mods on my SC, and hope to have it around 400 HP by the time that I'm done, and I don't want to snap a crankshaft, or throw a rod.

The factory crankshaft is FORGED unless you have a very early 89 model in which case it COULD be a Duracast crank, however very few of those got out before Ford pulled the plug on them and went with forged cranks. As for the pistons and rods they are available go to www.coymiller.com there's all kinds of goodies there.

Dr Fred had a crank made and it cost him in the $3000 range. I've heard of someone who got a crank from Ford for $1700 but they had to make it for him and I don't know if they still do that. A damaged crank could be built up with a hard chrome electroplate and then machined to original tolerance. Do not weld one up or machine .010 down if it is going to be a performance engine as it will eventually break from fatigue. Best bet may be to buy a used engine with a good crank and use it. Used engines can run from $500 to $1000.

Back