Help

kdub90blackcoop

:mad: Hi, i love this form because no mechanic can give advice like the boys on here..... so heres my problem..... I replaced the abs pump and motor ran fine for a couple months... took it in for an oil change got the car back ran fine for a while then started running like it was on 4 cylinders. Check engine light came on. As the car sat and idled for a bit the temperature slowly started to climb. the check engine light went off and idled fine. I drove it for awhile ran fine. Next morning i fired up the car idled fine for 2-4 minutes then started idling rough again. I noticed it takes along time for the car too heat up but maintains a normal temp when idling in traffic or my driveway. The Low speed fan did work but doesnt anymore, just the high fan when temp gets to m of NORM. I have repaced the ECT AND The tempereature senidng unit sensors. i pulled codes and i got 67 and 45 with key on engine off. with engine on i got 72 73 25. I think i have pinpointed everything to the DIS module, but im not 100% sure. 1 last thing is when the car heats up to norm temp there is a little hissing coming from the rad cap. If i had a faulty cap would it cause the car to run like it is on 4 cylinders??? any input is appreciated

i would say DIS. most ppl that have symptoms of feeling like its running on 3 or 4 cylinders turns out to be the DIS. and your code 45 is : DIS problem-primary circuit failure in coil 1,2,3 or 4.

so thats one vote for DIS.

If your near a autozone you can take the module to them and have it tested. My car did the same thing and it was the module.

If your near a autozone you can take the module to them and have it tested. My car did the same thing and it was the module.

i didnt know that...sweet. that may be what was causing all my problems. but i was doing the cheap replacement parts b4 getting another DIS.

more cheers more beers

Im hopefully going to get the dis tested and find a replacement, they are going for 100 bucks up here. By any chance do u guys think with a faulty dis the low speed fan is connected some how? thats really the only other thing wrong with the car. It is also taking a long time to heat up possibility the thermostat is stuck open? any way to check without takin it apart? thanks guys!

Im hopefully going to get the dis tested and find a replacement, they are going for 100 bucks up here. By any chance do u guys think with a faulty dis the low speed fan is connected some how? thats really the only other thing wrong with the car. It is also taking a long time to heat up possibility the thermostat is stuck open? any way to check without takin it apart? thanks guys!

i believe the low/high speed fan is controlled by the IRCM. its a little box in the radiator support, pass. side in front of the air box. check that out, it may have gone bad.

the warm up problem could be the t-stat, how many miles are on the engine ? it could also be one or both of your temp sensors. is the gauge inside reading anything at all ?

the guage wasnt working then i replaced the Temp Sending Unit and the ECT Sensor and it worked again, it takes along time to heat up to normal but when it hits normal it stays there. Making me think the therostat is stuck open. i tried driving it today and it ran fine for about 2-3 minutes then started bucking again, and if i hold the gas down just a little bit the rpms jump and down within 500 rpms like crazy. check engine light comes on then goes off.

i think i'm going to replace the DIS module but would all this be because of the IRCM?

just for alll who participated, i replaced the dis module got some pricey heat sink compound and BAM! car good as new! thanks alot for all who helped out makes my life alot easier.

i think thats what im going to do. my SC was runnin like crap b4 i pulled the heads off and i norrowed it down to either O2's or the DIS.

glad its runnin better for ya.

dude i'd start with the dis module because i also have bad o2's and the car still rips. so start with that but use the proper compound, dielectric grease works only for days.

The 1st gen DIS module on the 89-93 is one of the most common problems with these cars. We should do a poll on who HASN'T has to replace the thing. My 92 is on it's third one (and yes, I do use Arctic Silver, and even custom fabbed a heatsink for it).

Back