HELP! My SC won't start!

AirForceSC

Hello, I drove my '92 SC yesterday, and I let it idle when I came home. The car died after about six minutes. I restarted the car, and it idled for about two minutes before it died.

Today the car started for about a second and then immediately died, and every time after that it wouldn't completely start at all. I kept trying to start the car until my battery finally became to weak. The fuel pump seems to be working fine...I checked fuel pressure at the rail. I removed the air filter to see if there was a flow problem there....no change whatsoever in car's behavior. My neighbor has worked on a lot of fords and thinks the Idle Control Motor on the throttle body might be bad.

Has anyone had this kind of problem or know what I can do to troubleshoot?

Automatic?
Is the upshift light flashing while the engine cranks?

With a buddy, open the hood and watch the big pulley down on the crank while the buddy turns the key. Does the pulley spin? Does it wobble while it spins?

If the pulley wobbles or doesn't spin the harmonic balancer has failed.

I have a 5 speed, but I think you may be right. I was looking at the harmonic balancer yesterday and saw it wobbling a lot, and my buddy said it was probably going to go soon. The upshift light was on steady the whole time cranking...I don't think it was flashing.

Is there a way to fix the balancer?? Do I just need to tighten the pulley?? Where do I get a replacement, and will one from any other vehicle work? Anything other possibility as to what the problem is, or do you guys think that we've nailed it?

Search the technical forums for "broken harmonic balancer", this has happened many times. Be sure to follow all the tips. Good luck!
jj

Is there a way to fix the balancer?? Do I just need to tighten the pulley?? Where do I get a replacement, and will one from any other vehicle work? Anything other possibility as to what the problem is, or do you guys think that we've nailed it?

Best way to fix it is to just replace it. Spend the extra money for the BHJ balancer - most people do.

Were you driving it when it broke? Or come out to find the car not running? I was driving my dad's 94 when his broke. It just kinda lost power and coasted to a stop.

-Melon

If it moves at all, it's failed. It likely whacked the crank sensor which is why it won't even start now. The EEC won't allow the engine to start without a crank position sensor signal.

If you're lucky, the balancer is still in one place and didn't crack in two on the crank. Try and remove it in one piece. Then the only current replacement is a BHJ balancer from Bill at www.supercoupeperformance.com or Victor at http://www.spinningwheels-sc.com/

Back