35th anniversary wheel centers...

Kit Sullivan

I just recieved a set of used...well used...35th aniversary wheels to put on my 35th car.
I didn't realize there was a difference in the caps other than the paint. The standard Super Coupe (silver painted) wheels in 89-92 had a stainless-steel (maybe aluminum) center cap that snapped in the wheel.
The 35th wheels are all black, and pained so. The center caps are black also, so I figured they were also just painted black to match. But no...
The black centers for the anniversary odels are actually black plastic with the metal hold-down ring melt-riveted to the back-side.
I am having the wheels powder-coated black, but since the caps are not metal, they can't be powder coated to match.

I may just take a set of metal, non-35th caps and have them powderd black with the wheels and then just add the 35th emblem to the centers myself.

Any suugestions?

If you find the centers for them let me know where (Emblem part) cause I could use a few. I too thought about having the metal covers painted instead of the plastic ones, but if you do the prep right on the plastic, it would probably turn out decent should you decide to repaint them...

good idea to paint the stock silver ones & just fill in the bird with cobalt blue paint or tape/decal. keep your black centers till you can recondition them.
I am ready to recondition my black wheels but it looks like they will get paint so I can keep the silver bead/ring. I have talked to the shop that is going to do it
powder coat is best but I cant do it. take some before & after pics.

these pics just show the blue decal in the center. & a little banner.

Attachments

• 100_2004.JPG
    100_2004.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_2005.JPG
    100_2005.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 100_2006.JPG
    100_2006.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 57
I am ready to recondition my black wheels but it looks like they will get paint so I can keep the silver bead/ring.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but if you are insinuating that the lip of the rim can't be left silver if the rest of the rim is powdered black, then I belive that is not correct: Simply mask off the lip before spraying the powder.

that is what the powder coat shop receptionist said. I wanted to talk to a tech. but I will see when I take them in. I want powder coat over paint, its 40 per wheel for paint & 55 for powder so I will check it out.

I was looking at my Annie center caps today after you mentioned it and Iwas thinking that maybe you could get some type of vinyl sticker that was gloss black and lay it over the cap, use a razor knife and cut around the bird in the middle. They are pretty flat and the vinyl should be fine. Use a heat gun to lay it out smooth. Could even use a carbon fiber vinyl sticker...

Yeah, but then it wouldn't exactly match the finish on the wheels themselves, no matter what it was. Painted wheels need painted caps, powdered wheels need powdered caps, etc...
I understand that it is not strictly necessary that the caps and wheels be an exact match, but I want mine that way.

due to time and financial constraints, I haven't been able to work on my car in years, but I've had this site bookmarked for a long time:

http://www.bobwhitedecals.com/tbird.html

I think you're looking for the top product, and you can select what color you want. since they're licensed by Ford, I would assume they're quality decals, but I haven't gotten around to trying any of their stuff. good luck

Back