Custom mounting for an Aluminum Radiator

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
Would anyone that has comeup with a mounting bracket for universal fit radiators care to share what they have? I'm looking at buying a 22x19 Griffin rad and making some brackets to hold it and the fan in there, rather than buying a direct-fit. ($300 difference!) I have some ideas, but maybe someone else has had better ones...

You have a pic of the Rad? I ask because there are different types of mounts that are used for each. I have small posts on the top of mine and little slots/tangs on the side that hold it in place.

Chris

A little off topic question:

Is the radiator mounting system different between '89-'93 and '94-'95 models?

I don't know if you would be interested but if you click the link on the summit website for "suggested parts" they have universal radiator mounting brackets.

A little off topic question:

Is the radiator mounting system different between '89-'93 and '94-'95 models?

Here's a few of pics of my rad. Will that fit my '90? It suppose to fit but now I'm not sure anymore.
It's '94-'95 SC's rad and I thought it will be good for my SC also.
The only difference should be the overflow tube....
Problem is I can't see my current rad now because my car isn't home... So if someone could help...thanks!

Attachments

• Thunderbird SC 008.jpg
    Thunderbird SC 008.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Thunderbird SC 011.jpg
    Thunderbird SC 011.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Thunderbird SC 012.jpg
    Thunderbird SC 012.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
I don't know if you would be interested but if you click the link on the summit website for "suggested parts" they have universal radiator mounting brackets.

Nice suggestion...I'll check into that.

Here's something I drew up real quick - just kind of what I had in mind (without checking fitment, dimensions, etc.)

It does look like my idea will be a tight fit with a double IC though....any experience with this radiator and a double intercooler out there?

Attachments

• RADIATOR SUPPORTS2.jpg
    RADIATOR SUPPORTS2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 44
Well, the brackets look useful, but it's hard to say I guess. They still wouldn't provide mounting for the electric fan though. I'm going to make some more measurements and think some more about the brackets I drew up.

Back