Blower Rattle

Sounds like the coupler has gone bad and needs to be replaced....

It isn't that that hard to replace....

Sounds like the coupler has gone bad and needs to be replaced....

It isn't that that hard to replace....

The coupler has been replaced i believe, bought it last year and got it installed with a new front snout seal. still rattles a lot... when i took the blower top off, there were some metal flakes it looked like on the intake of the blower (just above the rotors)... is it possible the blades/rotors are hitting eachother? i dunno, like i said once i get my car started up ill get some video footage so you can hear what it sounds like.

the best way i can describe the sound is like marbles being tossed around in it.

The coupler has been replaced i believe, bought it last year and got it installed with a new front snout seal. still rattles a lot... when i took the blower top off, there were some metal flakes it looked like on the intake of the blower (just above the rotors)... is it possible the blades/rotors are hitting eachother? i dunno, like i said once i get my car started up ill get some video footage so you can hear what it sounds like.

the best way i can describe the sound is like marbles being tossed around in it.

Metal chips? :eek: If the chips are aluminum, then maybe the supercharger bearings are shot, and allowing enough play where the rotors are hitting each other and the case.

What kind of coupler did you put in there, a solid one? Switch to a new stock coupler and you should be all set.

Last edited:

metal chips...not good...

FYI when you take the blower top off, what you are looking at is actually the OUTLET of the blower. the inlet is on the back.

If you replaced the coupler and the nose section of the blower,then it must be the rear bearings.The rear bearings will allow the blower lobes to not only contact each other but also the case itself.Maybe you should take it apart and look at the condition of the blower,the lobes and the body and see how much wear has occured.:)

hmmm interesting. yeah the outlet i was looking at, sorry. i took some video footage on my digi but i dont have a USB here to upload it so when i get home tonight it'll be up and you can hear the attrotious rattle. it is really loud when i first start the car and continues for about 2-3 mins, then when teh car arms up it goes away a bit, almost completely until you open the hood, then you can hear it again.

the coupler i used was a chicago something, i remmeber hte part number consisted of CH xxx... it was a year and a bit ago that it was done.

Rattle Like Rocks

I have the '94 supercharger on my '90 SC off right now due to a rattle that sounds like rocks inside the supercharger.

Although it sounded like a bearing or coupler problem in the snout, turns out the cup bearings in the back of the case are worn. I can reach in the inlet and move the rotors up and down a tiny bit - just enough to hear "thunk thunk" as they move up and down. And it's obvious the edges of the rotors were started to touch each other - there's very slight wear marks.

I should have changed the cup bearings when I rebuilt the snout about 5,000 miles ago.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

I have the '94 supercharger on my '90 SC off right now due to a rattle that sounds like rocks inside the supercharger.

Although it sounded like a bearing or coupler problem in the snout, turns out the cup bearings in the back of the case are worn. I can reach in the inlet and move the rotors up and down a tiny bit - just enough to hear "thunk thunk" as they move up and down. And it's obvious the edges of the rotors were started to touch each other - there's very slight wear marks.

I should have changed the cup bearings when I rebuilt the snout about 5,000 miles ago.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

is that a tough job to do?

video is uploading on youtube, should be ready in a couple

Not sure

is that a tough job to do?
video is uploading on youtube, should be ready in a couple

Wow, your supercharger sounds just like mine - like it might be polishing rocks.

We thought it was the snout making the noise. But after I got it off, it seems that the rattle sound was traveling throughout the case and snout.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to change the rear cup bearnings. I'm going to drop off the supercharger at a shop this morning and let them press the old bearings out and new bearings in. When they put the rotor pack back in, we'll see if the noise is gone. If not, I may have to purchase a rotor pack. I'll post a message after the job is complete.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Wow, your supercharger sounds just like mine - like it might be polishing rocks.

We thought it was the snout making the noise. But after I got it off, it seems that the rattle sound was traveling throughout the case and snout.

I'm not sure how difficult it is to change the rear cup bearnings. I'm going to drop off the supercharger at a shop this morning and let them press the old bearings out and new bearings in. When they put the rotor pack back in, we'll see if the noise is gone. If not, I may have to purchase a rotor pack. I'll post a message after the job is complete.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport
hmmmmm yeah let me know how that turns out. thanks man. my car doesn't come out of the garage until probably april when the weather picks up so i have some time to figure out what i wanna do with it.

Back