Hooking up the engine and trans

Grims95SC

I got them back from the shop but didn't come back together like when I dropped it off. I'm sick of dealing with the shop or I'd make them do it.
So since I didn't take it apart, I really don't know how to put it back together. Yeah bolt the bell housing of the trans up to the block and slide on the torque converter but I'm sure there's a fair bit more to it than that.
Help please!:confused: :eek:

Not much to it really, just make sure the Torque converter is fully engaged on the Input shaft and pushed in all the way. Then just mate them together and bolt it all up.

- Dan

One thing for sure, it's got to be much easier to do with the engine and tranny out of the car (not sure how easy it will be to get them back in as a single unit). I did mine with the engine in the car... even with a tranny jack it was a pain to get it lined up while laying on my back. It took forever to get the angle just right so that everything mated up flush....

Once you're sure the torque converter is seated all the way on the input shaft, mate the tranny to the engine so that the TC studs pass through the holes in the flywheel. (You should clean the TC snout with emery cloth to remove any burrs or rust prior to inserting it in the flywheel opening. A little chassis lube on the snout wouldn't be a bad thing either.) Before you tighten the TC nuts, grab the stud that's visible through the bottom opening (you may need to rotate the crank if a stud isn't at the bottom) and make sure there is some play. You should be able to move the TC in and out just a fraction of an inch. If you don't have any wiggle room, the TC is binding and this will trash the pump if you don't correct it. If the TC is properly aligned, you can go ahead and torque the nuts (I believe it is around 30ft/lbs, but it has been a while since I did this, so don't take my word for it.)

I myself would change the front pump seal on the tranny before install unless it's already done:)

Back