need help-will not start

pieman42

hey guys, i seriously need some help here. my 90 5-speed has been dead since x-mas eve. was running perfect, then stalled. the car would crank over, but not fire up. it's been at a garage for 3 weeks now, and still won't start. the coil pack, crank sensor and eec have all been replaced. ignition module tested ok(twice). this is costing me a fortune! no spark or gas, but cranks. the mechanic just shakes his head and says 'i don't know', all the while charging me money. if some one can give me a clue as to what the problem might be, i'll get the car towed to another garage and get them to fix it. thanks for any advice, pieman

Have you checked the cam sensor.....

If you are not getting fuel, you most likely have a problem with the fuel pump....

There is a fuel pump cut off switch in the trunk that could have been activated and needs to be reset.....

You said you replaced the crank sensor......

Have you checked the harmonic balancer for runout / wobble.....

I have a 93 that had a slight runout of the HB and it would just crank and crank, but wouldn't fire....

i have never seen an upshift light,actually(maybe 'cause it's canadian?).
the mechanic is the one who told me there's no fuel. he also said that if it's the cam sensor, the car would catch, but run crappy. it doesn't even catch. when you turn the key on, you can hear the fuel pump. with it being a combination of no fuel and no spark, he thought it was the eec, but nope.
i have not checked the h.b for wobble, i will advise the mechanic to do so. if that is the problem, is it a big($) fix? this advice is much appreciated, guys, thanks

It depends on what you want to do...

With a car that is 16 years old, here is a chance to do some preventive maintenance.....

While you are taking the HB off, now would be a good time to change out the water pump and belts....:rolleyes:

i have never seen an upshift light,actually(maybe 'cause it's canadian?).
the mechanic is the one who told me there's no fuel. he also said that if it's the cam sensor, the car would catch, but run crappy. it doesn't even catch. when you turn the key on, you can hear the fuel pump. with it being a combination of no fuel and no spark, he thought it was the eec, but nope.
i have not checked the h.b for wobble, i will advise the mechanic to do so. if that is the problem, is it a big($) fix? this advice is much appreciated, guys, thanks

Harmonic balancers are in the neighborhood of $375 (maybe a little more) for a BHJ aftermarket balancer. The originals are no longer available from Ford, and you DON'T want to install a used one. The snouts are aluminum, and often don't last very long after they've been removed and reinstalled. You can check the fuel delivery yourself by removing the small black cap on the front of the fuel rail and using a small screwdriver to push the valve down. If it spurts gas, you don't have a pump problem. As stated, you might have a cam sensor problem. That is available from parts stores fairly reasonable. Do a search on "cam sensor" to find out the cost, symptoms, etc.

Others on here are better able to give you advise on this than I. I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions to follow up on...

Good Luck,

JD

When I get these kind of problems, it helps me to stop and remember the old auto shop rules

1-Fuel
2-Air
3-Spark
4-Timing
5-Compression

When you think about these things then it helps to not get overwelmed
by all the sensors and gizmo's.

Compare the symptoms to the basics, then think about the things in the system that could cause the symptom.

Hope this helps some.

Back