Stock bottom end

edb2007

i was just wondering how strong the stock bottom end is on a 89 SC?

tell me what type of combo you have with a stock bottom end.... and some hp and tq numbers if ya got them...

Tuning is key, the stock bottom end has seen 449 rwhp in XR7 Dave's cougar with 200k on the clock. It had ported and welded heads, twin screw blower, cam, and supporting mods (headers, injectors, fuel pump, tb, maf, etc...)

The crank is forged and the rods are supposedly forged. The pistons are hypereutectic. Not the best for nitrous use, but if you go all boost and no juice and the bottom end is in good shape, I think you could get 400 rwhp reliably on it.

very early in 88/89 they used a duracast crank. which is not as strong as forged steel. i think the engine code for the duracast is "C" and the forged steel is "R", i think. i dont exactly what date they swapped over to forged steel tho.

So few of those cars made it on the streets. Will bet its the most rare SC but most failed early. I have only seen one in 10 years.

so the rods are for sure alrite... so if i wanted to replace one it should be the pistons.... right??

then while im at it bore it 30 over....

then port port the heads, intake and SC before I throw it back togather...

Last edited:
what do you mean?

how can i tell the difference in cranks and rods?

Simply this motor is not your norm as far as nomal induction. Lots of little tips on what to do and what not to do. Like do not mess with the exhaust side of the heads if you don`t know what you are doing. Like I say do a search on what ever you wan`t to do. It will save you green in the long run.;)

If you ever opend up a SC engine the first thing you will see is a very beefy crank, main caps. I was just working on my 96 LX 3.8 and the bottom end looks like a toy. Steel cranks dont have a cast line on them. They look like they were cut from a hunk of steel. I beleave all 89-95 rods were forged even the NA engines. One of the funny things I saw on my 96 engine was the rods were one peice and then they break them to form a cap. No studs, they used a bolt from the bottom that cannot be removed and I will bet they are not forged. Sometimes I see Ford going backwards:rolleyes:

so i think im going to keep the forged crank and the rods, then upgrade to ome 30 over forged pistons....

Back