Alternator

I just replaced mine with a 110amp napa alternator. Cant really complain about anything but the price of it. $178 seemed kinda steep for an alternator.

!!!

:eek: Seems kinda steep ta me too. Maybe just a ford replacement would be good. I don't know just want the best I can get.:D

I just replaced mine with a 110amp napa alternator. Cant really complain about anything but the price of it. $178 seemed kinda steep for an alternator.

if i remenber right i payed around $60 for mine but i get my stuff at cost or as low as 20% off from my great local auto parts.

Yes. If it came with the 6 rib pulley, its not from a supercoupe. Contact some of the sellers here. They usually have a number of spares. The SC needs the 110A alternator to run the additional electrical load. Also, I'll mention this for anyone who is replacing the alt... charge the battery fully before you install a new alt.. DON'T USE the ALT TO CHARGE a dead battery.
These alts have a delicate regulator. Its fine for running accessories, but the constant load from charging the battery will overheat it and shorten the life of the alt... so buy a trickle charger for when its needed. ;)

I run a 3G alternator from a 3.8 V6 Mustang (94+) you have to remove a bit of material ont he PS bracket and the top bolt doesn't line up but the belt pulls the alternator inwards so the top bolt is not needed, the bottom bolt holds it from moving anyways, Just swaped overthe pulley and I was done. The 3G has a separate connector fo the tach wire, but I have the mustang wiring harness since my car is a Mustang, so not sure how that would work onthe SC wiring harness.

here's my moto for fixing my cars..."if your ganna fix...upgrade!!!" so I would go for the one with the most power (especally if u have a system...lol). and that does seem a lil hefty! I got mine for a lil more than 200 but that includes installation and all that other crap cuz I'm lazy and didn't wanna mess with it...lol.

Here's my motto... "Get an alternator with a free replacement warranty because these cars eat alternators!" Definately make sure your battery is FULLY charged before you install the new one. I've used Autolite alternators from Checker auto parts and the Duralast one from Autozone. The problems start when your battery dies and you get a jump from someone. These alternators just can't make up for the lost volts. I run my low speed fan all the time in the summer and I have an IC fan. I had some major alternator problems with my car. It's hard to find a good upgrade alternator from what little research I've done.

Whatever you do, just don't get Bosch Reman, I've had piles of them come back warranty. Once was doing a Mustang Fox Body and went through three that were defective right out of the box. Finally ordered a Dixie, no problems, never saw the car again (while at least not for the alternator, it was a Ford after all :eek: )

went through three that were defective right out of the box.
Sad, but not unusual. I opened one at the store right in front of the clerk that had a locked rotor :eek: Went through 2 duralast's that would cut out after warming up, and then the 3rd one held up. It was the only one that came with a load-test chart in the box that indicated that it could reach the 110A rating. :rolleyes:

When I got my replacement from Autozone (for another car), they tested that one right in front of me. Is that standard for Autozone's?

Also, I'll mention this for anyone who is replacing the alt... charge the battery fully before you install a new alt.. DON'T USE the ALT TO CHARGE a dead battery.
These alts have a delicate regulator. Its fine for running accessories, but the constant load from charging the battery will overheat it and shorten the life of the alt... so buy a trickle charger for when its needed. ;)

I concur. I found out the hard way, but thought my battery had at least been partially recharged. I also recommend not using A-zone alternators.

I am taking mine out to be rebuilt. Do i need to take off the coil pack to take the darn alt. out?

You probably will if it's your first time taking it out. There's a bolt that goes into the back of the alt. You can get rid of that bolt and it will make future changes easier without removing the coilpack. Mine takes about 10 minutes to take one out and put one back in now. I usually take off the alternator tensioner assembly every time. The bottom alternator mounting bolt should be right up against your intercooler for the alt. to come out.

Is the regulator separate from the alternator. I had the alt. tested and it was good. They said it had an external reg. and to check to see if it will be at 14-14.4.

Back