solid mount IC

slow_v6_stang

im doing the M90 swap to my mustang engine and was wondering if its possible to mount the IC solid to the radiator support. with the engine torq-ing when it revs, i'd imagine it wouldnt work but just thought id ask...

im doing the M90 swap to my mustang engine and was wondering if its possible to mount the IC solid to the radiator support. with the engine torq-ing when it revs, i'd imagine it wouldnt work but just thought id ask...

FMIC's are usually mounted directly to the radiator core support without any issues. Just be sure to use a couple of silicone couplings in your IC tubes so there is some flex.

FMIC's are usually mounted directly to the radiator core support without any issues. Just be sure to use a couple of silicone couplings in your IC tubes so there is some flex.
i thought about that too. remove the nut from the blower top and use a silicone coupling and do the same from the lower IC tube to the intake.

another option is to mount the super coupe IC bracket (that attaches to the radiator) on the radiator support.

i was talking to a guy who did the M90 swap on his stang and he just let the IC hang by the IC tubes. i guess the tubes are mounted solid but the thought still makes me nervous. driving down the road and the IC falls off :eek:

Even with solid mounts you're going to get some movement under full load. You definately want to put in some flexible connections in the IC plumbing to allow movement.

i thought about that too. remove the nut from the blower top and use a silicone coupling and do the same from the lower IC tube to the intake.

another option is to mount the super coupe IC bracket (that attaches to the radiator) on the radiator support.

i was talking to a guy who did the M90 swap on his stang and he just let the IC hang by the IC tubes. i guess the tubes are mounted solid but the thought still makes me nervous. driving down the road and the IC falls off :eek:

The IC is supported by the IC tubes from the factory. It is not supported anywhere else. Stock it has a rubber bellows to help funnel in air but there is no support there. Mount the IC solid and use flexable couplers. That or leave the factory design alone.

Ken

The IC is supported by the IC tubes from the factory. It is not supported anywhere else. Stock it has a rubber bellows to help funnel in air but there is no support there. Mount the IC solid and use flexable couplers. That or leave the factory design alone.

Ken
so you're saying that i dont need anything to support the IC besides the IC tubes? would there be any advantage to mounting it solid and using flexable couplers?

i thought that guy was crazy for doing that, but you seem like a worthy person to trust

so you're saying that i dont need anything to support the IC besides the IC tubes? would there be any advantage to mounting it solid and using flexable couplers?

i thought that guy was crazy for doing that, but you seem like a worthy person to trust

If it was me I would mount it solid and use flexable connectors like the other post said. Biggest reason is you eliminate the leaking and sealing problems of the nut on the blower top and also where it bolts to the IC. Another reason it is so much more easier to remove a tube to work on the engine. Lastly it looks better to have hose connections in my opinion. You might have to reengineer how the top IC pipe connects to the inlet of the IC. If you want easy than just run it like the factory set it up to begin with.

Ken

ran across these pics...looks like someone else is not mounting the IC at all besides the tubes. maybe ill try that, seems like the alternator would keep the IC from falling

sc_motor_in_stang_stock_ic_tubes.jpg

sc_motor_in_stang_with_stock_ic.jpg

ran across these pics...looks like someone else is not mounting the IC at all besides the tubes. maybe ill try that, seems like the alternator would keep the IC from falling

sc_motor_in_stang_stock_ic_tubes.jpg

sc_motor_in_stang_with_stock_ic.jpg

i bet he has one of the bottom i/c tube bolts holding it, with a raised top you can't use upper i/c tube bolt and since he has a silicone coupling on it you know there's no support from that tube.

Yeah if you want support, leave it bolted to the engine. The upper IC tube bolts to the Power steering bracket, and the lower tube bolts to a bracket on the engine block. Alot of guys leave these off, but in your case it would be better to leave them on.

- Dan

i have a 1995 supercouope motor in my 1995 stang, i used the stock rad from the tbird and used the stock supports for the IC, prolly the best way to go

i have a 1995 supercouope motor in my 1995 stang, i used the stock rad from the tbird and used the stock supports for the IC, prolly the best way to go

temporarily i am going to use the mustang radiator. it'll block airflow to the IC a bit, but until i can afford a new SC radiator, it will work fine.

temporarily i am going to use the mustang radiator. it'll block airflow to the IC a bit, but until i can afford a new SC radiator, it will work fine.

i am 90% sure i have a radiator, I'm out right now, but I'll check when i get home. $30+shipping takes it.

if u have any more questions about the swap just ask me man, watch the intercooler piping on the brake lines its a tricky fit, you might have to bend the line a bit towards the master cylinder

Back