Passenger Power Window Problem

wwwtbirdforumcom

My passenger pw does not do anything - when I hit the switch I hear the motor run and when I reverse it the motor sounds different but the glass does not move - It is in the up position and I don't need it to go down but what should I do to fix this and what would it be - I am thinking stripped gears but I know the experts here have already been through this.....

Sounds like it came out of its retaining clips or the motor is shot.

Take off your door panel and look through the holes to see if the window is out of the track.

Quick test to see if its the motor or the glass came out of the clips...

Grab the window on both sides and pull down with your hands. If it pops out of the seal and falls down (catch it so it doesnt break) you know that it just fell off its tracks.

If the window seems solidly attached to the motor... you have to pull the interior door panel off. Find all available screws on the door, and remove them. Then pull the panel slightly up to pull it off its clips. Then you need to unplug the lock and window switches so you can completely remove the panel.

Once you get it off, you'll see 3 small bolts holding the motor in. You have to reach a hand through the hole on the side to pull the motor out. put new motor in place, you'll feel the gears snap into place... then plug it in and put everything back together and you're done.

See, I'm the exact opposite of what you'd call "mechanically inclined" and I just replaced the motor on my window.

The motor is probably just fine. What goes bad on Ford power windows is 3 little hard rubber pieces that act as shock absorbers and connect the motor drive to the gear that operates the window. Unfortunately, you can't buy just the 3 little rubber parts (imagine that!), you have to buy a gear kit which includes the plastic gear that engages the motor, the 3 rubber parts, and the metal gear that engages the window lift. You can get the kit at some autoparts stores for around $30 if I remember correctly. Make sure you take your motor apart first (see instructions in the post above) and take the gears with you because Ford changed the size of the gears sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. When you replace the gears, make sure you get every little piece of the old rubber parts out of the motor housing or you'll have problems.

Back