new sc owner lots of probles

supraslow

:confused: ok well last week i got the sc its a 90 5-speed and i have had a lot or problems but i fell into it cause i love the sc and it was realy cheep

first: my gauge cluster .. only the boost gauge moves and when it runs it stays in the vacume side till i gas it i checked the fuses and there all good
any ideas ?

second: when its cold out it has a hard time starting and till it warms up it runs realy rough and wants to stall out and at times wile getting warm it will die out

well any ideas that could help me out would be great cause i dont know much about the sc ive owned t-birds befor but both where v-8 and im
trying to get it all set for inspspection in a few days and need to get it all taken car of thanks alot

ummm.....if ur temp gauge doesnt move its probably one of the temp sensors, most likely the smaller one next to the thermostat housing.

if the speedo isnt working u need a new one.

are u sure ur oil press. guage isnt working ? could be the sending unit.

sometimes if the tach isnt working , the cam sensor is bad. which can cause hard starting and rough idle.

are u getting any check engine lights ?

ok well the thing is none of them move besides when cranking over and the boost is still working so you think i shold get an all new cluster

ok well i think from doin a lil research that tomarow im gona go out and get a cam sencor and thow that in sould that also throw off my other gauges if the cs is toast?

i wouldnt say buy a whole new cluster. just the sensors. the temp sensor is about $5-10. cam sensor-$35. not sure how much an oil sending unit is.

u didnt say if u were getting any check engine lights.

The upshift light comes on whenever the key is on, but whenever cranking over it should shut off. Usually, if a crank sensor is bad it won't run period.

The vacuum gauge is mechanically operated, and all others are electronic. That is why the vacuum gauge is the only one that seems to operate. Your sending units could possibly be bad, since they are electrical. At idle and partial throttle the motor pulls a vacuum. The only time you will see boost is at half-to-full throttle. You don't have a problem there.

Since all the electrical guages seem to be out, I would look for a common connection, ie:the common plug on the back of the cluster.

Nick

ok well thanks for the help ill be heading out to see what i can do on it today ill get back to everyone tonight to let you know how it went

Highly unlikely his cam sensor, temp sending unit, and oil sending unit would all go at once. Clearly this is a prob with the cluster. Most likely a bad gorund or the main connection to the cluster is loose. Take the cluster out and check to see if the connection is good, or if it has loosened itself. If it is connected tightly, check for a bad ground, and for positive power to the cluster. That should get you started. Hopefully its just a loose connection.

As for the boost guage, it hsould be running in vac until you open the throttle. The back plenum from IC outlet pipe to the intake manifold has a little bypass valve to recirculate air coming out of the M90. This is to conserve fuel and wear on the motor. The bypass valve is operated off of engine vacuum. When the throttle is open, vacuum drops, and the springloaded valve shuts forcing boost into the motor. So you have no problem there.

Last edited:
It does happen, but when I have multiple things go aout at the same time, I try to look for a common connection, literaly or figuratively.

Nick

ok well i just came back and replaced the cm sensor and the tach now works and car runs great so thanks for that still have to fix the other gauges

now i know that the cam sensor was bad the tach works runs good and has no trouble starting so thats good just gott rip the cluster out and if its all connected good it would have to be the sensors rite but i think that my gas gauge is workin not on the road for a few days so wont realy know till then

all problems solved due to the fact of disconected sensors ide have to say the guy befor me sold the car cheep cause he thought he had to replace verything but everything is great now

Back