Keyless questions...

greenwood_60

I just picked up my '91 SC last night. I found the factory code for the keyless pad on the door, but I have read that you can program in another code of your choice. How would I do that?

The other question is regarding the keyless transmitter. It is not programmed to the car, so nothing works on it. How do I reprogram the car to the transmitter? I am assuming the car gets reprogrammed and not the transmitter.

Thanks
Jason

Jason,

I am glad you found yourself an SC! Show us some pics if you can. The keyless is actually easy to reprogram with your own code. There are a seires of steps that involve turning the ignition on and off and such, and I can't remember all that off the top my my head. If you have an owner's manual with the car, it will tell you in there. If you don't, let me know, and I will copy what it says into a post here. Good luck!

Heres a c&p of what another site says on how to do it

How To Reprogram Remotes
How to reprogram your keyless entry remote controls (97-up)
Picture of keyless entry remote & key

It is necessary to have ALL (maximum of four-original and/or new) of your remote transmitters available prior to beginning this procedure

To program the transmitters yourself:

1. Insert a key in the ignition and turn from 3(Off) to 4(On) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 4(On) position.
2. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that programming mode has been entered.
3. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.)
4. Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. The doors will lock/unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed.
5. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn th ignition to 3(Off) or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

That's it!

I don't know if they had remotes that early or not. My 94 was the first one I got that had remotes.
As far as the pad on the door, type in the factory code, press the 1/2 button, type in the new 5 digit code and viola! The locks kind of click, I think, when the code is accepted. Both codes work at this point.
If you want to change the actual factory code, you need to pull the box from inside the trunk on the left side. (mounted to the back of the big black ABS plastic housing) The big clips (2 i think) are actually push type, so don't try to twist 'em out. :rolleyes: I learned that the hard way. Then open up the keyless box and change the resisters inside.
There's a how-to on the TCCoA site, I believe.

Thanks, I got the door programmed to a personal code. Now I just need to get this transmitter working. It worries me that there is nothing in the 91 shop manual or the owners manual on it.

Jason

That makes more sense. Is there any way to install it? I would assume it is all controlled by the box in the trunk. I can get one from a later model SC from the junk yard. Is that all I would have to swap?

Jason

That makes more sense. Is there any way to install it? I would assume it is all controlled by the box in the trunk. I can get one from a later model SC from the junk yard. Is that all I would have to swap?

Jason

I would think you would have to run all the wiring to make this work, i'm sure there was not wiring that went back to the trunk in 1991. My 93 lx had a keyless remote. Might be easier to go after market, unless you have made your decision that you want a stock style setup. I know how that goes.

On another note to anyone interested, I still have the working transmitter from my 93 if anyone needs one. Transmitters are programmable.

Well, there is wiring to the trunk for the keyless pad (on the drivers door). It would seem that it would have been possible and easy for ford to add a reciever to that box, and leave the rest of the wiring alone.

Jason

Back