A/C Compressor Differences

None that I'm aware of. The one for my 91 was the same as the one for my 93. And they are the same as my bro's 89.

I am ASE certified in A/C there are no differences in 89-93 and I believe 94-95 are the same also if you are looking to replace a compressor save yourself a lot of grief and do not even consider a used or rebuilt compressor.These compressors were poorly designed to start with and are more prone to failure than any other one out there.Even Ford {Fred Jones} cant rebuild them. If you see any signs of black residue in the compressor or any other components a complete system flush, accumulator, and liquid line replacement is mandatory if you want the system to live.On my cars I replace the condensor as well. Just my 2 cents:)

Garsc, you know if the 89-93 will work with an R143a system? Reason being I am putting my 90 SC engine and trans in my 95 LX, but the LX compressor is about an inch too short to bolt to the bracket. For now I was just going to unplug the a/c clutch switch and let it freewheel, but when summer comes I want to get my ac back. The lines do run differently through the engine bay, but I don't know if that is a SC/LX difference or a R12/R143a difference.

The lines do run differently through the engine bay, but I don't know if that is a SC/LX difference or a R12/R143a difference.
From what I recall the compressors are clocked differently in their mounting (SC to N/A v6) which is why the lines are different. I have not seen the R134a n/a v6 setup so I can't comment on if they are routed differently than the 89-93's.

You will need SC compressor and lines for your car. 89-93 lines are different not only because of the service fittings but the accumulator fitting and line routing are different. SC compressors are clocked differently and the clutches are different diameters. All new compressors are R-134a compatable ,dont even bother messing with a rebuilt compressor or a used one.They wont stay working for long on R-134a due to increased operating presssures.

So it sounds like I need to go get a 95 SC compressor and lines or do some custom. Thanks, I've been looking for some info on this.

Back