Odometer

scbird1

Mine quit not long ago and I thought the normal paper tag got caught in the gears thing but no. I take the whole thing apart only to find that one of my gears on the motor that turns the odometer has teeth missing. Im not one to complain but it just seems like all the parts that are imported seem to go bad on these cars. Oh well if your`s has stopped and the tag is still on the top your going to need another one from the bone yard.

Attachments

• DVC00001.JPG
    DVC00001.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 111
  • DVC00002.JPG
    DVC00002.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 120
  • DVC00003.JPG
    DVC00003.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 94
  • DVC00004.JPG
    DVC00004.JPG
    112.4 KB · Views: 112
  • DVC00005.JPG
    DVC00005.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 98
call around to the ford dealers...all they charge is like 15 bux. They count the teeth and get you a new one from the back.:D

Im talking about the tiny little green gear inside the speedo. I don`t think they sell that gear.

I am not sure about the ford dealers. I know supercoupeperformance sells them for like 50 bucks. I know they go bad a lot too.

Im just gona go to the junk yard and smash one open and pay for the 10 cent gear. I feel like a animal lately anyway.
You would think they would have used the 20 cent gear like they used on Hondas :mad:

And you will have the same problem with the used one, and it sounds like in the process you are going to destroy another hard to find SC part. Remember, they don't make these cars any more, or most of the parts. Why do people continue to go the the junk yards and ruin good parts to get to some other part that they need? You just may need the part you decided to destroy later on down the road, and guess what, you broke it because it was easier to do that then remove the parts the correct way.

This is a very common thing on these cars. The gears from the factory are brittle and just disintegrate eventually.
Buy the aftremarket gears...they will last indefinately.

Um its not even a SC. Its a LX and they made a billion of them. Have had this problem before but what I look for is a ripped out cluster laying on the ground for the parts I need. Most of these last a good long time. I just wanted to rant because I should not have had to open it but Ford decided to use parts made in Japan. Just for the record I have saved 8 of these cars from the crusher. I have done my part

OK, does anyone here know what types of speedo's came in what cars? Im not talking the 145 or 120 difference either. I just took apart a speedo from an SC and it looks nothing like all the pics ive seen. It doesnt say VDO and doesnt have a sticker on top, its on the bottom. Also the drive system for the ODO on this one is a worm gear that looks nothing like above:confused: :confused:

Do a Google search for speedometer gear and you will find several companies that sell that little "green" gear. 25 -27 bucks + shipping. I found a local Auto Air / Speedometer replair place here in Orlando that has sold me that same gear for $25.00.
I know what you're thinking, 27 bucks for that little piece of plastic :eek: , but if you want the odometer to work again, it will be worth it. IF you can find one, Ford Dealership will charge you $200 for a new odometer unit.

Like mentioned above, salvage yard speedo's will likely break as well, if not already broken.

Some of the earlier ones were different but you should be able to still get parts for them. Also, both speedos are interchangable.

Mine must be an earlier one, I believe from an 89SC. However its not broken and I dont even see how it could break. The worm gear idea look much better. I was attempting a different mod, but the wiring and circuits are nothing alike:)

From what I remember they were the same from 89-92
93 was the weird year. The numbers were differnt on the out side then the 94-96 but only the 94-95 SC had the 145and 97 had it own. As far as the guts go I think they used a couple of differnt types.

The circuit traces, board material, component layout and wiring are different on mine. The part number is: E9SF-17282-CC Its on a sticker on the bottom of it. There is what appears to be a date stamp of 89-02-13 on the top. :)

Back