Replacing stock boost gauge

kenewagner

Has anyone removed the stock boost gauge and replaced with an aftermarket gauge. I would like to replace the stock (inaccurate) gauge with a better
30 lb boost gauge rather than add a bunch of guages in pods everywhere.

Ken

Has anyone removed the stock boost gauge and replaced with an aftermarket gauge. I would like to replace the stock (inaccurate) gauge with a better
30 lb boost gauge rather than add a bunch of guages in pods everywhere.

Ken
Chris Mendola's old car used to had that (not that it does you much good now).

I plan on doing it and have even started the process, but I haven't made it further than getting a spare factory gauge, a new aftermarket gauge and started thinking about where to make the cut to separate the factory fuel gauge (since the fuel and boost are one unit from the factory). If I ever get done with my home projects, I'll get back to the car projects :mad:

What exactly do you want to know? I have done some investigation, I just haven't done any cutting yet. Maybe you will motivate me to procrastinate my home projects :D

What exactly do you want to know? I have done some investigation, I just haven't done any cutting yet. Maybe you will motivate me to procrastinate my home projects :D

I have never had the gauge cluster out of the dash. My hope was to find a aftermarket gauge that would blend in so to speak with the existing gauges. I want a gauge that is the same size as the existing boost gauge. The new guage would be calibrated for 30lbs vs 15lbs for the stock gauge. I plan to run about 20lbs of boost and want a stock look for the boost gauge. I had hoped that others had done something simular so I wouldnt have to reinvent the wheel. Most of the time I have my head under the hood but I want to get something done on the interior now.

I have never had the gauge cluster out of the dash. My hope was to find a aftermarket gauge that would blend in so to speak with the existing gauges. I want a gauge that is the same size as the existing boost gauge. The new guage would be calibrated for 30lbs vs 15lbs for the stock gauge. I plan to run about 20lbs of boost and want a stock look for the boost gauge. I had hoped that others had done something simular so I wouldnt have to reinvent the wheel. Most of the time I have my head under the hood but I want to get something done on the interior now.
You won't find a gauge that fits exactly because like i mentioned, the factory gauge also has the fuel gauge as one unit. As best I can tell, a standard 2 1/16 gauge will fit, the only thing I haven't figure out is the depth of the gauge. On Mendola's car, the boost gauge stuck out higher than the rest. I'm hoping that I can figure out the depth problem. Also, I think the Autometer Phantom gauge is a fairly close match to the factory gauges.

Why not replace the two gauges then with the aftermarket ones?? Aftermarket fuel and boost... That way you don't have to cut the cluster in half...

Why not replace the two gauges then with the aftermarket ones?? Aftermarket fuel and boost... That way you don't have to cut the cluster in half...
For one, I don't think there is room for both gauges in the cluster in their current locations. And two, you don't have to cut the cluster in half, you just have to cut the boost/fuel gauge in half.

Boost gauge replacemtent.

If I might suggest. There is a company called Palo Alto Speedometer Inc. (www.paspeedo.com) that I have spoken with about refacing a boost gauge so it will match my other gauges.

I believe they could probably do something with your SC cluster.

Doug

Chris Mendola's old car used to had that (not that it does you much good now).

I plan on doing it and have even started the process, but I haven't made it further than getting a spare factory gauge, a new aftermarket gauge and started thinking about where to make the cut to separate the factory fuel gauge (since the fuel and boost are one unit from the factory). If I ever get done with my home projects, I'll get back to the car projects :mad:

Kurt: can you post pictures of the spare factory gauge and your aftermarket gauge. It might give me some insight as to how it needs to be cut. Thanks

Ken

You could talk to Scott Hrbacek at TCCOA. He makes custom faces. I haven't used them, but a lot of members there have. He's a nice guy.

For one, I don't think there is room for both gauges in the cluster in their current locations. And two, you don't have to cut the cluster in half, you just have to cut the boost/fuel gauge in half.

I meant the fuel/boost cluster. Guess I should have been more specefic :eek: What about taking out the mechanicals out of the aftermarkets, fabbing up a mount and sticking an aftermarket gauge overlay over the whole thing to cover up any cuts/mounting holes, etc. Not sure if you can picture what I mean.. Just take the innards out of the aftermarkt gauge, put the shaft/needle thorough a custom gauge face with it marked properly, and go from there...

Im not as concerned with a custom face as I am swaping out the inacurate 15 lb gauge. I plan on running up to 20 lbs of boost and the 15 lb stock gauge just doesnt cut it. I guess I will tear into it and see if I can make the cluster look like my engine compartment.

Kurt if you have any pictures of the extra gauge cluster that would be great
Thanks all

Ken

Ken,

Just how inaccurate is the stock gauge?

Almost everyone I have talked to say they are inaccurate. Mine reads about 2lbs low from the correct reading. My problem is my blower puts out more boost than 15lbs so I need a gauge calibrated to read the higher boost. Just a pet project for my car. My problem right now is I have half a dozen pet projects going and Im working 7 days a week

Ken

Ken,

Just how inaccurate is the stock gauge?

i was told of by a 1 or 2 lbs ........the guy who bought my Mustang has a Supercoupe and this is what he got after putting in a aftermarket boost and air/fuel ratio gauge...as for this being accurate for everyone car i drought it but this is what his was..he ran 20 lbs of boost and blew the engine.....next time he is around i will take a picture of his valve covers....it blew them apart..still has the car...its been sitting for while now...

Almost everyone I have talked to say they are inaccurate. Mine reads about 2lbs low from the correct reading. My problem is my blower puts out more boost than 15lbs so I need a gauge calibrated to read the higher boost. Just a pet project for my car. My problem right now is I have half a dozen pet projects going and Im working 7 days a week

Ken

Ken,

You could always take the lazy route like I did, and simply plumb up an aftermarket boost gauge to establish what boost levels your making or for tuning and testing. Then when your done, pull it back off and use the stock gauge. Mine only takes a couple minutes to install and tees into feul pressure regulator refrence line.

Does it really matter that you can't tell exactly what your max boost level is when your driving ? If that car is anywhere near as fast as I think it's going to be, you won't be able to watch much of anything besides the road and maybe the tach :D .

David

Ken,

You could always take the lazy route like I did, and simply plumb up an aftermarket boost gauge to establish what boost levels your making or for tuning and testing. Then when your done, pull it back off and use the stock gauge. Mine only takes a couple minutes to install and tees into feul pressure regulator refrence line.

Does it really matter that you can't tell exactly what your max boost level is when your driving ? If that car is anywhere near as fast as I think it's going to be, you won't be able to watch much of anything besides the road and maybe the tach :D .

David

Had to laugh at that one David:D I hope your right and I do have to watch the road instead of the gauges.

Ken

Well I didn't make the weekend on the east coast, but I made it everywhere else. Hopefully these pictures will give you the informaiton you need. In hind-sight, I thought about adding a ruler to the pictures earlier in the day, but forgot by the time I took the pictures.

Attachments

• 100_1811.JPG
    100_1811.JPG
    165.1 KB · Views: 103
  • 100_1812.JPG
    100_1812.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_1813.JPG
    100_1813.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 84
Back