Oil pressure, and steps to fix it.

AMD[H]unter

I am getting a little worried about my engine. Ever since I put in my new OP gauge, I have been wondering about oil pressure on an SC. When I first crank it up with it cold, the OP jumps way up (obviously) to about 65PSI. After it has gotten thoroughly warm, the OP at a cruise (~1800RPM) is right at 45PSI, and stopped in drive it's around 20PSI. Both of these numbers seem low to me, but I could be wrong.

What are the steps to raise the oil pressure? I have already decided to rebuild the bottom end before I do performance stuff on the top half. I need to replace cam and rod bearings, oil pump, rings, pistons, and hone the block, for a full bottom end overhaul, right? Someone please point me in the right direction here. Thanks for all the help y'all have been so far!

What weight oil are you running? I believe 10w30 is what the factory suggests, but it seems a little thin for higher mileage sc engines.

Worn rod bearings seem to be the main culprit of low oil pressure in our engines. They wear down to the copper surprisingly soon, and the extra clearance bleeds off a good amount of oil pressure. If that's the case, you might also hear a little clatter just after you blip the throttle.

I don't know. That is about where mine runs. 60 or so at startup, 40 - 50 driving and 20 - 25 in drive not moving. I have an after market op gauge too. The stock gauge is crap for that stuff. I also have a new remanufactured engine too. I have also been running 10w30.

The motor is weak. Use with caution. With that oil it should pull 60+ at cruise and 35+ at idle warm.

Sigh. This motor is dying slowly. I have an update with no estimates.

At a warm cruise, at 2000RPM in 4th gear, it's at 39PSI, and at idle warm it is at 15PSI.

What do I do to fix this? Can you still get an oil pump for them?

Ok, I got a list of things together that I will need (I think). Let me know if this is all I need to fix up the bottom end.

• Oil Pump - $68.95
  • Cam Bearings - $34.99
  • Rod Bearings - $32.99
  • Main Bearings - $47.99
  • Pistons - $30.99 x 6; stock bore
  • Total - $443.85

Of course this is excluding the machine shop work. What all will need to be done by the machine shop other than hone the block or bore it out? (depending on how bad it is)

Back