TRW Lower Control Arm replacement

A1cntrler

I know that these are no longer available. My local parts store and thier online counterpart are not abble to locate one of the sides (don't recall which one). IF I were to just reuse the lower control arms I have, what should I look for in terms of lower ball joint/bushings to go into it?? I know it would be easier to just buy the new part, but since it is no longer available, what are the alternatives?? The Moog part is rumored to be a softer durometer rubber or something and not for the SC... What and where I guess is what I need to know...

I just bought a set from Advance Auto parts last week and they were the sc specific ones I had to order them but they were in the next day I beleive the part numbers were 10771 and 10772 (trw) so if you have an advance auto close by you should be able to get them thereI think they were like 100 or 120 for the set.

Jay

I just bought a set from Advance Auto parts last week and they were the sc specific ones I had to order them but they were in the next day I beleive the part numbers were 10771 and 10772 (trw) so if you have an advance auto close by you should be able to get them thereI think they were like 100 or 120 for the set.

Jay

That is where I went. The brick and mortar and online tell me that one of them is no longer available. And the online store said none wqere available...

Weird thing is I just went back to the website and tried to order 10771 and 10772 to see which one it is that was not available...and the order went through. Before it was telling me that only one of them could be shipped and the other was no longer available/discontinued. Guess I'll keep mu fingers crossed. Says they will be here by the 21st... I'll keep you posted....

Hmmm.. Fed Ex just delivered my set last night (2/15/07). I bought them last week from www.partsamerica.com

They are part numbers 10771 and 10772. They came in a TRW box and the arms are stamped TRW.

I tried to buy them a couple months ago and part number 10771 was not available. It was like that for weeks, then last week I just placed the order online and it worked. I was expecting a call saying "we really don't have these, blah blah blah" But instead I got two SC-specific control arms!

They have the sealed ball joint and sealed dust boot (the cheaper arms come with a grease zirk and ~~~~~~ dust boot that isn't sealed).

I'll take some pics shortly

Jeramie

Last edited:
Here we go:

Attachments

• MVC-002S.JPG
    MVC-002S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 151
  • MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 142
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 154
I bought the Moogs from RockAuto and . . .

They are also stamped "TRW". Part numbers are K80053 (L/L) and K80055 (L/R). They look just like the ones in the thumbnail attachments above. At the time (April 2006) they cost $53.89 each. When I saw this thread, out of curiousity I checked it out, remembering there was some confusion/controversy over the Moog vs. TRW parts. Well, the ones I bought are definitely Moog, but they are stamped TRW. I suppose one company makes the parts for both and they are sold under the different company names. I did go out on Parts America and found that one or the other, I forgot which, of the TRWs is no longer available from them. Haven't tried RockAuto lately. Hopefully these'll still be around for those who need them.

Don
1995 SC auto, 184k and still running strong, with SCP exhaust, Kooks short headers, 5% pulley, 75MM TB/MAF, chip.

The casting likely is TRW. The only difference between the TRW numbers and the Moog numbers is the TRW are SC specific and thus should have the proper replacement durometer rubber bushing.

To tell you the truth, who really knows what bushing is being used. They could just slap anything in there and we'd never be able to say for sure.

Hey if you need I can go to the store and see if they can order another set and ship them to you.

Thanks, but I actually was able to order them online this time for some reason. I had tried and it denied me saying that only one was available and theo other side was no loger available. The next day it let me order both sides. I'll see what comes when they get delivered (on or about the 21st it says...)

According to a TRW suspension seminar, TRW actually designed the front suspension on the t-birds for Ford. Long time ago so I might be wrong, but if memory serves. So it's quite likely that moog is simply buying the arms from TRW and boxing them in their packaging.

If that is the case, than Moog should make the ones for the SC, not bunch them all together and call it a Thunderbird... Cause it isn't :p

Dear Lawrence,

We are sorry to inform you that the following portion of your order currently cannot be filled:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
QTY Part# Description Unit Price Total Price
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 TRW10772 CONTROL ARM W/BALL JOINT TRW $56.46 $56.46
========================================================================

We have checked multiple sources for this item, but unfortunately cannot fill this portion of your order. Most likely, the item is out of stock or discontinued. The item may be available in the future, but we cannot promise it at this time. In the meantime, we will deduct the cost of the unavailable item and ship the remainder of your order immediately. If none of the items you selected are available, your full order will be cancelled and no charge will be made to your account.

If you would like to contact us directly please feel free to either send us an email (status@partsamerica.com) or give us a call at 1-877-808-0698. Our call center is open 7AM-830PM M-F & 9-2 Sat-Sun.

Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We appreciate your choosing Advance Auto Parts as your fastlane to automotive expertise.

– PartsAmerica.com Customer Service
status@partsamerica.com

©2007 PartsAmerica.com, Inc. All rights reserved.
status@partsamerica.com 1-877-808-0698 :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

They've had them out of stock often, and then they find some. So stay on top of them. I know I got a pair from them a couple months ago.

The TRW parts are completely discontinued. It's not even a valid number through Federal-Mogul anymore. I called them a few months ago and they did have a cross for the TRW part but it went to a ball joint, and not a complete arm. All suspension parts of TRW have been rolled into Moog as far as Federal-Mogul is concerned.

I'm not so sure that the consolidation is a bad thing. Moog and TRW each had a pretty complete line of MN12 suspension parts, so the merger should theoretically keep parts available with less overhead. TRW was the OEM manufacturer for most of it. As long as no quality is lost in the transition, I guess I am happy. Time will tell, I suppose.

The loss of the special hardness inner LCA bushings is sort of a freak thing, I guess. Why doesn't someone just make the bushings for those who want to press them in?

Back