crank sensor question

Hoffman90SC

I was wondering if anybody had an idea of what the gap space is between the crank sensor and the timing ring on the back of the balancer is. I guess there is a magnetic strip that is used but I don't have one. Any help well go a long way..................Dustin

Last edited:
Hi Dustin,
You can use a matchbook cover. I would recommend using 2, one on each side. The final tightening can cause the sensor to shift slightly. Once set, turn the crank by hand (balancer bolt) to double check that the sensor doesn't touch.
--Fred

So there isn't an exact tolerance that has to be meet for this sensor. I read in the manual for this car that there is a magnetic strip gauge that rest on the timing ring behind the balancer and the sensor is supposed to make contact with it to be set right. I was experiencing some timing issues before and wanted to get some stronger advice before moving on with it. Thanks for the reply

So there isn't an exact tolerance that has to be meet for this sensor. I read in the manual for this car that there is a magnetic strip gauge that rest on the timing ring behind the balancer and the sensor is supposed to make contact with it to be set right. I was experiencing some timing issues before and wanted to get some stronger advice before moving on with it. Thanks for the reply

I borrowed the magnetic strip from a Ford dealer I was buying alot of parts from, then found a magnetic of equal thickness and custom cut my own. I'll see if I can find it tonight and measure the thickness for you then post it here.

Matchbook is fine. Its not that technical really. So long as the vane goes between the sensor elements to make a pulse and the vanes dont hit it, thats all it does. :)

Back