Decisions! Modifications and idle rambling

JAFO

Decisions! Purchasing, Modifications and idle rambling

Time is getting closer. I keep bouncing back and forth between this car and a Turbo Regal. Always liked both cars. It's hard to find a stock TR, so most will be impossible to predict for reliability, regardless of mileage. Members of the GN board have pretty much discouraged me from buying one for a daily driver unless I'm putting in over $10,000 to buy it. Apparently I should expect to spend thousands to get a reasonably priced car into decent shape. I keep coming back here. These cars seem to be a bargain, just the right time to buy one I guess. GN's are faster, but then I'm not going to the track and I don't do the street racing crap. I just want to enjoy.
So, I'm thinking I may be able to buy a nice SC and maybe go ahead with a mod or two. I know the exhaust is an issue, but I'm also thinking gearing would be more of an improvement. Intake? Exhaust? Gears? Shift kit? What's the best kick in the pants to get me off to a good start?

Last edited:
Best bang will definitely be a good exhaust system, a weak point in stock form on the SCs. Auto trans cars usually have 3.27 gears from the factory, lots of guys switch up to 3.55 or 3.73 with the slushbox trans.

Turbo Regals are pretty neat, but if you like handling and top end, the SC will kick their butt in those departments.

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I dont know **** about cars and i asked around . I heard that the pulleys for the super charger give it the best bang for the buck. I only paid like 250 bucks and got three pulleys put on. One makes the supercharger PSI go from 10 to 15 so you can really get some power out of it. Like i said, i dont know **** about cars,so ask around about pulleys or some **** like that and people will know what im talkin about i hope. Good Luck

The only potential drawback to installing an overdrive SC pulley, before doing anything else, is that you're playing russian roullette with your head gaskets. The extra boost and pressure has nowhere to go with the stock exhaust, putting more of a pounding on the gaskets. Some guys have been OK for a lot of miles this way, I know other people who flushed their head gaskets within 6 months of this. So, my advice is a good exhaust, then a pulley. For new owners of 94 - 95 cars, be aware that the pulley on these is LARGER than the 89 - 93 cars. So a cheap upgrade on the newer cars is a stock pulley from an earlier one, it's like doing about a 3 - 4 % OD ... worked great on my 95, and you can usually find a used 89 - 93 pulley pretty cheap, lots of guys have these around.

cheers
Ed N.

i have more boost and more exhaust,what should i do to get more fuel and more air,thanks for any help

More air = Cold air intake system, bigger MAF and throttle body.
(in that order)

More fuel = bigger pump, then bigger injectors.

Back