Damn Fuel Pump!!!

xmtrxmt

Well, I am beginning to think that it’s the damn pump. I drove to PT this morning and after PT I got in the car and when I turned the ignition on I didn’t hear it, I turned the car over anyway and of course it didn’t start. I got out and checked the switch in the trunk and that didn’t help. I checked all the fuses under the dash and the High amp ones under the hood and they are all fine but still no fuel pump. Is there one that I am missing or did my fuel pump just take a ~~~~ on me? This is in a 95 SC, is replacing these just like changing one in a Mustang? I have to change a few out in Mustangs before that’s why I ask. The bad thing is that I just topped the car off last night. Thanks.

can be two things, the actual fuel pump, or the fuel pump relay, i have no idea werethe fuel pump relay is on a 95-94 car but do a search!

Pretty sure that the relay is in the left of the trunk on all years, behind the carpet. The pump is in the tank, and you must drop the rear exhaust, the small crossmember, and the tank to replace it. It's an annoying job, but not technically too hard.

thanks for the input guys
Ill give it look tommorow, im in school and dont really have acces to the tools that i need like I do at the house
I really want to get a multimeter and do some tracing before I drop the tank, Im really not liking t here that I have to drop exhaust to drop the tank.

yeah cutting a door into the floor of the car for direct access to the pump without dropping the tank makes changing it something that takes maybe 20 min. even though they don't go out much it makes upgrading the pump a more attractive option. and yeah let us know it does sound like the pump but like was said before could be the relay..

also take a good look at the connector where it goes onto the tank. Some of these cars like to melt them. You will know if its bad when you see it. :)

hmmm .....exactly where would i have to cut to do this ??

If anyone has done tis before and can post some instructions and pic on where to put it, that would make for a great ow to article, as I suspect this is an alteration alot of people would do. 95 and up Hondas and Mazdas all come with an acces hatch under the rear seat and it makes a FP change a 15 minute job without even having to empty the tank. It sure beats having to drop the tank everytime you need a replacement or a want to upgrde the pump.

I wouldn't do it because of A) rust and B) weakening the structure.

Honestly, how many times will you need to change the pump? It lasted over 15 years the first time.

You guys will not belive this but I went to tow the car to the craft shop here on post to swap out the pump, jumed in the car, turned the key so that I could ut in nuetral and the damn pump primed up!!! I have never seen anything like this!! I have worked on Mustangs fr years and have seen strang stuff but not like this, anyway, its running fine for now, I guess that I can take this fuel pump back and get my money back:) Thaks guys!

See post number 7. It the same reason my fuel guage works sometimes and not others. It could leave you stranded somewhere soon. :)

dude, would you just replace the fuel pump relay, that is most likely the cause of all this, it happened to me, my fuel pump wouldnt come on, and my retarted ~~~ dropped the tank and checked the fuel pump and it worked, the fuel pump ran with direct power going to it...! then, i replaced the relay and it worked just fine! it was a fuel pump relay!
i replaced the fuel pump relay with a used one..

i just recently replaced my fuel pump relay again because it was causing low fuel pressure.... and now it works fine!

dude, i first replaced the relay like 2 years ago, when i replaced that, it was with another used one that i got from a donor bird i had, so i replaced an old relay with another older one...

now recently, i replaced it with a brand new one from KRAGEN!

Well ... under the rear seat, a little bit offset to the passenger side, i think. I still wouldn't do it to my car, but it's your car.

If you're worried about dropping the exhaust, it's not that hard. To get the exhaust out of the rubber hangers, use a lot of spray lube and a skinny screwdriver to wiggle it out. If your bolts are rusted in place, you can always just cut the pipe and then use a slip-fit coupler to put it back together.

just bring down the tank! remove the rear exhaust, actually, you just have to remove the front screws that hold it and move the exhaust enough to clear, and undo the straps and hose lines from the gas tank tube fill area, and let the S-O-B come down slowly....

check ur relay first!

Back