This one is wild. Steering problem

gerry'ssc

My 93 sc can't steer on water, frost or even 1/8 inch of snow. you turn the wheel and it goes straight. Works fine on dry roads, has new bushings,ball joints,control arm, michelins. Any thoughts. Thanks "terrified in BC"

No steering.

Here's a thought for you.

Does the rear end have a posi or locker? Are the rear tire worn more than the front?

Don't rule out a locked rear end unit. If the rearend will not allow one wheel to slip in a turn, it could drive you straight with reduced front end traction.

Worth looking at.

Has it been alligned since the suspension work? If yo did he control arm bushings it should have had an alignment. Also, what kind of tires did you put on it? I'm from Canada, and I can tell you, if you have your typical perfomance tire from michelin which are very hard rubber, these cars won't go anywhere in winter. I had someone who wanted to sell the car they were so frustrated, I switched the tires to a set of goodyear winter tires, and the car now handles like a dream in even the worst winter conditions.

rear tires are 85% front 75% car had alignment when work was done. will have it re-checked. michelins are m/s for what that's worth. I had avonzz1's on my 89 cougar with no problems.

Here is another thought, have only seen this once before, if your tires have soaked up some diesel fuel, or something like that, it could cause you to not have control in wet conditions.

Back