Cold Air Intake?

greenwood_60

I am looking at these cold air intakes on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-9...tegoryZ38634QQihZ008QQitemZ180087806698QQrdZ1

From the looks of it, it wouldn't do anything more than replacing the air filter with a K&N? Isn't the air flowing into the air cleaner box comming from that hole anyways?

It does look nice. I will probably go to a front mounted intercooler at some point and redo all the plumbing, including something like this for the intake side.

Jason

ok well i had a cai like that on my mustang and it may not be as effective as a name brand cai but it deff does make the fiffrence probably a lil more then a k&n honestly i was considering one of thoes for my sc and its cheep enough thats its not a waste of your money still get the look the colder air and the hp but not as much as a name brand so its a toss up 3 times the price for 1 or 2 hp or a working cold air

I have a similar one on my car. I didn't notice much from it but it makes the SC whine a little louder. Be careful of standing water. Mine also didn't fit very well at the throttle body, but I made it work.

I got one from them a while back and for what it cost and what you got it was a good deal. It does not fit perfect and you have to do some creative things to get it to work but it was not very hard make it all come together. As far as gains I do not know I did a few other things at the same time. Hope this helps

Well, guys that tune our cars don't recomment to have a 90 degree bend right before the MAF because it might affect MAF reading

I have a K&N cai on my car. It dosn't go thru the hole like that one does, but it still works pretty good and it does make it sound a lil louder. U can actually hear the air being sucked into the motor. It also gave me some noticable hp gain. and yes...u do have to watch out for puddles of water! cuz if u get water into it...NOT GOOD! lol...but u probally already know that...

My opinion the best CAI is the Magnum Powers kit. Nice big filter that stays in the engine bay, nice chorme 3 or 3.5" intake tube,and most importantly the heat shield for the filter. Without that heat shield you wouldn't believe how warm a cone filter can get in the engine bay. I would highly advise against anything that has a bend before the MAFS and puts the filter in a vulnerable place for water.

OK, thanks.

Is there any problem with the MAF sitting at an angle?

I don't think the CAI sitting in the engine bay, even with a heat shield, is a better idea than having it in the seperate compartment. MP was probably just trying to avoid placing the MAF after a bend.

The stock filter box with a performance filter is probably the best option.

Jason

OK, thanks.

Is there any problem with the MAF sitting at an angle?

I don't think the CAI sitting in the engine bay, even with a heat shield, is a better idea than having it in the seperate compartment. MP was probably just trying to avoid placing the MAF after a bend.

The stock filter box with a performance filter is probably the best option.

Jason

i used to have a mac cai on my black '94sc and now i have a 3.5" mp cai and i can't tell any difference in performance. i stuck the mac cai on my other '94sc and that's the car i call my factory freak because it hauls a s s. i have a zr cai on my 3rd sc, an' 89:D

Last edited:
I have the ZR on my 92 and I like it's design better than the MAC and the ebay intake.

Too bad they aren't making them anymore.

here is my intake! i got bored today and powdercoated it a mirror blue... i need to do the bend also, probably tommorow or the day after... bored...

hgs020.jpg

My MAF actually sits vertical down in the fenderwell before any bends. I had problems getting it to run right with a bend before the MAF.

well im just wondering. when you put the maf befor the bend, does it make any difference thats its on its side? and also can the wire reach and everything the way that you have it sitting... lol with no modifications?

Don't even mess with putting it before the bend cause you don't need to. It's been beat to death on these forums. Some guys don't have problems but most do. Even with the Ebay CAI you can adapt it so the MAF is attached directly to the filter. I just cut the plug off, ran the wires through the frame into the fenderwell and spliced them all back together. There are natural holes in the frame already that you can put the wires through and you don't need to extend them.

Rather than mess with a COI that doesnt fit well in the first place, I picked up a K&N to fit the stock air box off ebay for $28, after shipping.

Jason

Rather than mess with a COI that doesnt fit well in the first place, I picked up a K&N to fit the stock air box off ebay for $28, after shipping.

Jason

Jason,

That new K&N panel filter will increase your HP by about 1....for another 3, remove the air silencer (mounted under the fender).

David

Back