Tranmission dropping out of O/D

WhiteVert

The next problem I would like help with is the transmission;

1994 Super Coupe 4R70W automatic

What it is doing in a nut shell is: Car warmed up to operating temp, cruising down the highway at 70 + mph and it will down shift out of O/D into 3rd gear. The RPM will jump up to about 3.2K then it will then shift back up to O/D. I am also under the opinion that this co-insides with hitting a hard bump in the road.

Is it likely that there is a loose connection? Would it be internal or external to the tranmission? It does not appear to be an issue with the switch on the gear selector on the consloe.

SC has 116,030 mile on it and had the tranny rebuilt at 90,000 by a man that can do a good job if he is in the mood.

Through me some thoughts gang..............

Butch

I had this happen exactly as you described with my 170,000 mile AOD. The problem, as best as I could figure, is that when it heats up, the band expands, or the OD Servo leaks down, and it drops out. Then when the pressure is restored, it kicks back in. You will need to rebuild it to fix this up, or you can install an external cooler to delay the problem. It might not reappear at all ;)

IMO, if the friction material is good, you might be able to get by with rebuilding the valve body. That can be done w/o pulling the transmission. A good rebuild should hold up w no problems a lot longer than 26,000 miles. :rolleyes:

But yes, since it has an electronic OD control, it well could be a connection somewhere.

Soory about the long delay

Kevin-

Can't say that I know what you are talking about. Manual Lever postion sensor ? Educate a poor man would you.

thanks

Butch

Its the switch on the outside of the transmission that tells the computer what manual selection you are in (EX, P R N D 2 1)

Yeah the 94's are known to have problems with the MLPS. Mine would drop into neutral when I would take off from a stop when the MLPS was bad. Ford updated the part in 1995 with a gasket on the sensor to prevent the problem.

Heres a little information from TCCOA ..

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page4.shtml

Im not sure which one best describes your problem though since its dropping in and out of gear while on the freeway.

- Dan

It got the best of me

First thing first- Thanks to all for thier thoughts and advice.

I try to do all the work on my cars myself but when it comes to transmissions I just dont trust myself, I have tried to rebuild a couple in the past but everyone has thier limitations and this is where I draw mine. Some times it is easier to take it to a professional and let them handle it, and this is what I did. :D

Long short short the car was having some issues w/the shift solenoids and I also elected for a new valve body and a "shift" kit to be installed. Sometimes a piece mind just lets me go through life a little easier.

thank you all

Butch

Back