Eh, OK. So, how does this work? Batt. in trunk.

V8Supercoupe

Before my new engine is getting installed I am putting an Optima in the trunk.

I got the tray in, but now I am looking at how to route the wire.

Am I better off inside?

Or outside, what, in your opinion would be the best way to route it through the suspension outback?
...and I'm thinking....away from the gas tank.....

Yes, I have looked at the other posts, 'suppose I am looking for more insight.

i would say run it inside the car through the interior...... you might be able to fit it under the door... that trim peice just pops off i think....

i havent put too much thought thought into in but i plan on doing this when i get my new motor installed

I ran a 2 gauge power cable through that path. Just take the driver kick panel, long trim piece along the door opening, and the rear seats out, then you should be able to get the wire to the trunk. I suppose you could leave the seat back part in, to save time and effort. Anyways, there is a nice little place under that long trim piece. It should fit perfectly.

In any event, I'd keep the cable inside the car. Make sure there's no sharp edges that could cut into the wire insulation.

i ran it through the car on mine wasnt to difficult at all, just gotta get some 2 guage or 0 i think they call it ott (spelling) 0 is the same thing... also i would run your ground all the way back too, i wouldnt find somewhere in the rear, i routed both red and black to the front.

If I had it to do all over again which I will... I would run it outside along the frame so it can be inspected. I ran mine down the door channel along with a couple wires for an amp in the back. It's a tight squeeze and the batt. cable is actually being pinched a little. It's not a fun cable to be fishing around through the interior either. I'll probably reroute mine when it gets nicer out.

I ran mine under the car, 0 gauge, i covered it with convoluted tubing and used insulated clamps to mount it to the car.

Running cable

As a custom stereo installer for 20 years and an SC owner for 12, dont run your cable under the car............especially if you are not going to be using high amp circuit breakers(one up front to fuse the supply and one in the rear to fuse the battery). That cable shorts and its a very good bet your car will go up in flames. I have TWO 1/0 guage power cables running down the drivers side of my SC for stereo power cable. It wasnt easy but CAN be done. The most difficult part is getting the wire through the firewall. I drilled below the factory bulkhead connector( the round plug with all the wires in it) above the brake pedal to the left. DO NOT run the cable through the bare hole- bad news. Instead get a water tight fitting designed for this purpose-you should be able to buy one at any car audio shop and they cost like 10-12bucks. This will allow you to protect and seal the hole at the same time. Good luck

I'm thinking along the same lines as you at this point Supr. It may be fine to go on the outside, in fact, I know it is, but I am just thinking I would rather have it on the inside.

What do you mean you can't run the wire through a nice jagged hole....why not?
:D ;)

I appreciate the input guys

Ah, I thought I was all alone. :D I'd just feel much better with it inside, especially with the car being lowered. Shorting the battery would suck.

I'd rather have it short out on the framerail than the combustible interior. But that's just the firefighter in me talking:D Just watch where you run the screws for your door sill trim. I accidentally screwed into the Batt cable and snap crackle pop!

Cable

Under the car is best.

Ok.............years ago I ran it through the interior of a 1963 1/2 Falcon Futura drag car.

I covered the cable in a lot of heater hose to prevent ANY chance of grounding out in the car.

I'd do the same running it under the car to protect it.

I could have went either way, I just didn't know how I wanted to route the wire through the IRS setup. Inside seems like the easiest thing. I would likely wire in a fairly large fuse incase something happened.

is this to transfer some weigh off the front end and get it to the back......i dont see the purpose here....maybe you need some room up front to fab something up.......?

Yes ,I am making room. Nothing going on right this second, but there are plans. I need to get my other motor in first, and rather just get this stuff done with while the get'n is good. I want to make sure it's tuned, running to potentiel and then play later. I haven't driven the car in months and that's what kills me.

Im sure you have already considered this,but if you are running aftermarket audio gear make sure that you run the power lines away from the rca cables running from your head unit to your amp.You will get a constant hum coming through the system...my 2 cents

Yes ,I am making room. Nothing going on right this second, but there are plans. I need to get my other motor in first, and rather just get this stuff done with while the get'n is good. I want to make sure it's tuned, running to potentiel and then play later. I haven't driven the car in months and that's what kills me.

Two months?!?!?!? Man I havent drivin mine in almost THREE YEARS! Its just taking forever with all the mods I'm doing...gotta actually WORK sometimes to pay for the stuff:D

do you plan on driving the car at the track? If the battery is out back and they notice that under tech inspection they won't let you race without a battery cutoff switch on the trunk or back bumper area. Just thought I would let you know if you already didn't know

:eek: Sounds like they have the same thoughts as me too! :eek:

Whichever way anyone chooses, just make sure you do it right.

Back