F.A.S.T. Challenge - Lets see what you've got!

XR7 Dave

I posted preliminary info in the member's section to get ideas and formalize the rules so if you are a member you can check that out if you want. But really all the info is here for those interested.

Factory

Appearing

Stock

Tire

Check out www.fastraces.org for details.

This challenge is sponsored by SuperCoupes Unlimited and will be carried out for the most part at the SC Shootout. It will be an annual event and you don't have to be present to compete.

We will accept time slips provided that:

1) The car must be documented. You must submit detailed photos of the car showing the underhood, interior, exterior, tires used, and exhaust system. Blurry, small, distorted, or distant photos are not acceptable. Photo's must represent what a person would see looking at the car in person.

2) You are not required to submit any details about any modifications done but if it doesn't look stock your claim will not be accepted. The car has to look BONE STOCK.

3) Time slips must be witnessed by a live - non relative witness who is familiar with SC's and who can be contacted to back up your claim. Time slips must have date and location visible.

4) The car must be made available for inspection if conditions permit. I travel around a lot and have met or will meet most people. I may ask to see the car and/or witness it run at some point. Refusal to attend a local event or present the car for inspection is grounds for disqualification.

If you attend the SC Shootout, fastest car wins that day. If you post a faster time on a different day that will be listed in an all time Fastest list, but the Shootout will be a different award.

On to the details:

1) Exterior must be stock. No fiberglass hoods, no ground effect kits, no custom paint jobs, no stickers, no custom exhaust tips, etc.

2) Interior must be stock. Nothing need function but it needs to be there. Radio, A/C, all stock seats, all panels, all gauges. No aftermarket shifters, visible gauges, etc. If you have gauges or switches they must be hidden (like in the glovebox or console.

3) Engine must look stock. All pulleys must be painted black. All accessories must be present. UD and OD pulleys are allowed on accessories only as long as they are painted black and look stock. Stock blower pulley must be used. Internal engine mods are not monitored but if it lopes it's out. As a guideline the motor should pull at least 15" of vacuum at idle.

4) The blower must appear stock from the outside. No MPII's or III's etc. No plenum's, TB's, CAI's, no custom paint or lettering, no polished or chrome parts. The only mod allowed is a C&L MAF to make injector changes easier. A stock MAF is prefered. Injectors must look stock and should be painted either blue or red to match the OE colors. IC must be stock, SC top must be stock, fans must be stock with no additional fans allowed. Radiator must be stock, no colored loom or SS braided lines. Stock exhaust manifolds required.

5) Exhaust system allows for a stock configuration upgrade. Up to 2.25" pipes and a 3" mid pipe are allowed. Must have cats, a resonator and rear mufflers that appear stock. The only aftermarket muffler that looks stock that I know of is the round body Dynomax muffler. Tips can be chrome if they exit in the stock location and have the OE looking slash cut like the Dynomax cat-back system does. Borla exhaust is not factory looking so it would not be allowed. The system must be non-obtrusive and should be more or less quiet as a person would expect from a stock(ish) SC.

6) No injection of any kind allowed. No water, no alcohol, no nitrous, no IC spray bars. Any kind of gasoline which is put in the gas tank is allowed. Battery must be in stock location. No external wiring allowed. If you have to run wires for anything they have to be hidden in stock looms.

7) Transmission is fairly open other than it has to look stock. C4's, deep sump pans, external wiring etc, are not allowed. Auxilary trans coolers should be out of sight. If I can't see them, they don't exist.

8) Rear end must look stock. No Mark VIII or Cobra rear ends. No big brakes, no drilled rotors, no custom suspension pieces, no air bags, no big sway bars.

9) Wheels must be stock. No exceptions. Tires must be 225/60/16's on all 4 corners. No exceptions. Car should be at or near stock ride height. Max deviation is 3/4". All suspension should appear stock.

The sponsorship portion of this event is that SuperCoupes Unlimited will offer to tune, for free, any car that legitimately competes in this event. This offer does not include tuning hardware nor does it include travel costs or expenses. What it does mean is that if you need tuning assistance via email, you show up at a regularly scheduled tuning session, or you meet with me at my place or at the track, I will help you tune your car. I work with EEC Tuners and SCT chips and I will also help you tune without any tuner if you so desire. I have datalogging equipment and if you wish to tune with a MAF extender or AFPR then so be it. There is a limit to how much time that will be available to each person, but lets see how many people step up first. :D

The goal of this challenge is to see what an SC can do. To be able to go to a local track, pull up beside some hapless stock pony car or musclecar and show them what an SC can do and when they ask what you've done to the car you can say "nuttin."

Let the games begin. :D

So, Dave, what is the best that you see this challenge making? Do you think it is possible to build a 12 second stock looking SC? I, personally, don't. If it could be done, I would be pleasantly surprised.

I think the key areas here to be successful would include:

Increased displacement (using 3.8 block)
Bumping CR
Heaving Porting of Heads/Blower/Manifolds
Big Stall Converter on Autos
Proper Gear Ratio in Rear End
Good Tuning
Finding the best hooking 225/60/16 Tire Combo
Lots of Passes and Seat Time

I think a solid 13 is not out of the question. Having to run a stock blower pulley will limit the performance potential.

Thomas

Yeah, I agree with you on the pulley thing, although, since we have to use a stock IC, it might be a good thing not to underdrive the blower, because of higher temps. Also, I think with a non-locking 2800-3000RPM stall converter and 4.10's, you could have a decently quick car, even bone stock elsewhere. Well, at least it would feel quicker.

I think the key areas here to be successful would include:

Increased displacement (using 3.8 block)
Bumping CR
Heaving Porting of Heads/Blower/Manifolds
Big Stall Converter on Autos
Proper Gear Ratio in Rear End
Good Tuning
Finding the best hooking 225/60/16 Tire Combo
Lots of Passes and Seat Time

I think a solid 13 is not out of the question. Having to run a stock blower pulley will limit the performance potential.

Thomas

You can use the OD and UD pullies, they just have to be black, not stock.

I agree though. You would have to heavily port anything possible, but this class would teach people what modifications really matter. This restricts you down to porting components that actually make the biggest difference as opposed to just bolting on a bunch of useless parts such as blower tops, throttle bodies, etc... I definitely think that 12's would be attainable.

Having a 94/95 blower would be key. To me, there should be either a rule or class regulation against the late model blower. Maybe the rule should be that a '89-'93 pullies are permitted while OD's for late model blowers are prohibited. Maybe 94-95 pullies should be mandatory.

I think that was discussed in the member section, and it was said that the best thing to do would be to use a 94/95 model blower with an early model pulley on it. It's still stock, and even some of us wouldn't notice it until we broke out the ruler to the pulley, and as far as I know, this is a visual inspection anyway.

I would not even think about having to paint my polished stock parts
black. To compete in a drag race.

Randy

Last edited:
I would not even think about having to paint my polished stock parts
black. To compete in a drag race.

Randy

I'm glad for that because your custom parts are way too nice to put paint on. Your car is still a shoe-in for the Super Stock class as is. If you are interested and ready, I'd really like to have another chance to tune your car this spring when I'm out that way.

You can use the OD and UD pullies, they just have to be black, not stock.

I agree though. You would have to heavily port anything possible, but this class would teach people what modifications really matter. This restricts you down to porting components that actually make the biggest difference as opposed to just bolting on a bunch of useless parts such as blower tops, throttle bodies, etc... I definitely think that 12's would be attainable.

Having a 94/95 blower would be key. To me, there should be either a rule or class regulation against the late model blower. Maybe the rule should be that a '89-'93 pullies are permitted while OD's for late model blowers are prohibited. Maybe 94-95 pullies should be mandatory.

There will be no handicap or regulation on the OE blowers. They just have to have an OE Ford pulley on them and an OE plenum attached to the back with no visible welding or cutting. If it looks stock, then it is. Remember, the overall goal is to show the OUTSIDE WORLD what we can do with a "stock" SC, not so much how to level the playing field against each other.

I think that anyone who takes this challenge seriously will be greatly rewarded for their efforts in terms of what respect they will get from others and as Casey said, what they will learn about SC's. If you really want to see what works, then try this out. Nitrous or a big blower or a big IC will cover up a lot of sins. With a stock looking car you will have to play your cards right to get results. That's what will make this fun.

This is not a time race either. If your project isn't ready for the Shootout that's no big deal. Take your time and work the idea. I'll be working on it part time for the forseeable future. I picked up just the right car for the job and so it will not interfere with my other car but will be fun for when I have time to try some idea I've been thinking about. I think it would be cool to have 3-4 people take this challenge seriously. I'm not expecting this to become the latest fad in the SC world. :)

Last edited:
I'm going to get a new SC for this, start with a clean slate. I plan to do almost all of the work myself except for the machine work. I will probably even fix the car up and restore it over time. (paint, suspension, sensors, interior reupholstered if needed, etc..)

I think by fall of 2008 I could be ready to bring it out to play.

Personally the ideal SC in my opinion fits this bill and what the clubs all about...Sure I think some of the rules are a lil strict but I absolutely love the stock engine look thing and always have. A few things I'd sway a bit with however overall Its a great idea.... Love to see what people come up with

I'm glad for that because your custom parts are way too nice to put paint on. Your car is still a shoe-in for the Super Stock class as is. If you are interested and ready, I'd really like to have another chance to tune your car this spring when I'm out that way.

I did not run at last years shootout. I have no plans to race at this
years shootout. ( pot stirring part) There just was no competition
fast enough to compete aganst in my class :) I like your idea of
this challage. But,This class would be the same. There would be
no competition if I would jump in with both feet. :)

Well after not being able to get a tune over the last 4 to 5 years.
I have given up on trying. Because of my lack of knowlage or living
in an area that tuning can be performed easily.

I have not started the part of my project to remove weight from
my car. And the installation of my lighter composit parts.
On the front of motor the only belts that will be used
will be the two blower belts and one belt for the alternator.
And installation of tubed K-Member. I hope to have this done
by the end of spring. So what I am getting at is. I am past the tuning
part of this project,I no longer have the mental compasity
to spend years waiting for a tune. I do not mined the black
smoke blowing out the exhaust pipes.

Thanks Dave for offering to help, I appreciate your offer. But I
am just to tired to think of tuning. I am, & will just have to
be satified making parts to bolt on my car. I given up on it ever
getting it tuned. My true interrest and entertainment comes
from fabbing parts for my car, not racing it or driving it.

I am making more power than most, and can beat most all
stock long blocks with m90s at the track. And thats with
out all my parts installed, just my BLING parts. I am prepaired
in parts to add power or quickness at any time, for a
stock longblock with or without a tune. :)

Thanks Randy

Last edited:
Back