head gasket

sleeper bird

i am not an owner of a sc, i own a 97 limited edition lx with a 4.6 soc, anyway i am interested in buying a sc and noticed that i see alot of headgasket threads. what is the deal ,do these engines blow headgaskets with so many miles on them.was just wondering?looking for a nice sc for sale in the southern states.had at onetime in my life i owned a buick t type and sold it and always regretted it.want a sc to make me feel better and keep it as a collector.

i am not an owner of a sc, i own a 97 limited edition lx with a 4.6 soc, anyway i am interested in buying a sc and noticed that i see alot of headgasket threads. what is the deal ,do these engines blow headgaskets with so many miles on them.was just wondering?looking for a nice sc for sale in the southern states.had at onetime in my life i owned a buick t type and sold it and always regretted it.want a sc to make me feel better and keep it as a collector.

it manily...to much boost from what ive seen...and in turn it blows em.

Last edited:
Here are the main contributors to blown head gaskets
1-supercharged engine pressures
2-aluminum heads on a cast iron block, different expansion rates.
3-poor cooling system maintance, allowing corroision and overheating.

mix all these together on a high mileage engine, and thats a formula for a blown head gasket.:eek:

They are repairable, but not the easiest job on the planet.
Once you finish this repair you can strut a little at Autozone.:D

Everyone I have replaced was due to electrolisis. Ate its way to the fire ring. Just by changing the antifreeze every couple of years would have prevented this. There are some who turn up the boost and have them blow but they are pushing the limits on 12 to 18 year old engine anyway.

Back