Cat or balancer????

Jacob_Royer

SCCoA Member
Ok car was running fine and all the sudden started making a bad knocking noise over 2000rpm or so! A few months back i gutted the passenger side cat because it was rattling but didnt get a chance to do the driverside because it was cold out and hadn't even been driving it very much... drove it about 100miles in the last few days and all the sudden this... It was much louder than it was last time and car ran like crap! babied it back to work and parked it and when i got back the check guages light was blinking and the car started idling roughly. Balancer??? Cat??? Any idea?? Its probably got about 140k on it now and still has the original balancer... Oil pressure never dropped temprature never went up......

Hey Jacob, how's it going?

I'm not too sure I have any good ideas about what wrong, but I would think that gutting only one cat wouldn't be a good thing to do. Seems like the higher exhaust gas pressure on one side would make the engine operate lop-sidedly. I dunno, just a thought.

That's weird that the check gauges light flashed like that...I think I remember having that happen before when the oil pressure was too low on my car (due to it idling VERY low for a few seconds.

If I had to guess, I'd say the balancer, although I've not experienced a bad one yet (somehow :rolleyes: )

Well take a look and see of the bolt in the center hasnt snapped, do a search on that lots of threads;) But since the crank sensor is right above the balancer mabey the balancer damaged or hit it and thats whats causing the light.

I am begining to think its more serious... Balancer is not loose and doesen''t move around when its running.. Plugs i get a loud squeek every once in awhile! Also pulled the dipstick and it looks like there is a little bit of metal in there! NOT good!! In a best case scenario if its rod &,main bearings how much would it cost to rebuild the bottom end?

.......In a best case scenario if its rod &,main bearings how much would it cost to rebuild the bottom end?

Too general a question. I saw where someone just posted that you can get a short block for $300. Others will pay several grand. There are too many variables to answer that question easily. You want a stock block, or one that will handle 400 rwhp?

....and before everyone lands on my back, yes, I know a stock block can handle 400hp but you all know what I mean. :rolleyes:

Ira

Last edited:
Nothing real crazy! the car will probably never see more than a 5% OD maybe a ported blower and soem tranny upgrades.. 300$?? osounds good

I wonder if the oil pump chewed up the timing chain cover or something. I know aluminum circulating through the engine isn't good, but maybe you could get by without a rebuild/engine change. I've got an extra timing chain cover (I think) that you could have for cheep if you need it.

Any thoughts from more experienced members on my comment?

I'm thinking its somthing much worse but maybe you are right... I got a new cherry picker and an engine leveler and parts washer from harbor frieght today.... Pulled many engines over the years but this looks like a total PITA! Any tips/hints on pulling it? Any special tools i will need for the job?? Got inpacts, ratchets sockets and wrenches of all sizes extensions swivels and what not, but will i need any special tools for the job?? Deffinately going to go through the whole thing while its out! hopefully not to much harm has been done but the loud screach noise comming out of the bottom end every once in awhile after it starts to warm up doesen't sound very good!! While i'm at it these are the things im thinking i should do..

New oil pump
new timming chain
new cam (not stock but nothing crazy will i need a tune for a basic cam upgrade?)
new valve stem seals
rings and hone (if boring not needed)
motor mounts
balancer
catless downtubes
magnaflow resonator
some basic home porting on heads and blower (if its not a crazy idea for an amature)
Roller rockers????
change tranny fluid & filter add a shift kit to the AOD

Jacob,

I ported the heads on the engine I'm putting together. I haven't tested them yet, but I was told that I did a decent job on them. I'll tell you...it's alot of work! I had a good writeup on things to do and some pictures of other's jobs from the club and just went by those materials. Just make sure with all the parts you change, that you do plenty of research on the procedure, I've learned alot of stuff that I didn't know this way.

You will need a special tool to remove the power steering pulley, if you're disassembling the engine before removal. Other than that, if you have a decent assortment of tools, it shouldn't be too hard. Let me know if you need any help or parts! :D

Did your power stearing pump have alot of end play in the shaft? not side to side but in and out? im wondering if i need to replace it... Bought a power stearing pulley puller and engine leveler and a new cherry picker and fuel line/ac disconect set... I have everything pretty much unhooked but the belhousing bolts and TC bolts... Been working so not getting a whole lot done durring the week... put in 13hours last night :( probably will need the extra $ im getting for the sc....

All....like 5 or so power steering pumps I've had have that in-and-out end play, so I assume it's normal. I'd say it'll go in and out about 1/4" or so.

Sounds like you're set!

Back