High Pressure Power Steering hose

greenwood_60

So how long does it really take to replace the High Pressure Power Steering hose? What is the best way to go about doing it? What all needs to be removed?

Thanks
Jason

Set aside a few hours

So how long does it really take to replace the High Pressure Power Steering hose? What is the best way to go about doing it? What all needs to be removed?

Thanks
Jason

I did that job a few months ago. It took me about four hours. I took my time, didn't use air tools and did not have the car on a lift, which I believe would make the job go faster.

I unhooked the belt for the water pump, alternator, a/c, etc. and let it hang (I didn't take all the way off so I did not have to remove the lower radiator hose).

Then I took off the upper IC tube, removed the coil pack and alternator and removed the intercooler for room to work. I unbolted the accessory bracket and moved it, with the power steering pump connected, forward so I could get at both ends of the pressure hose from the top. There's plenty of room to reach both ends of the p/s pressure hose from up top with the accessory bracket moved forward.

If I remember correctly, I had to get under the car to put the new hose in place where it does the double back along the engine cradle.

The job may be way easier if the car is on a lift. But I'm not sure if you can reach the p/s pump end of the hose from below because the return IC tube is in the way.

It's not a difficult job. Like most things on the SC, it takes patience - and a few choice words for the engineer(s) who designed the plumbing around the engine compartment.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

This job sucks

I'm currently in the middle of this job as well. I have the new hp hose and attempted to get that :mad: (insert word of choice) :mad: back in there once already. I should have done a search before I started as I'm now going about this differently. I'm going to go straight from the pump to the rack with the 12" hose .. do a search ...there is good info with pictures here on the subject.

I'm taking the new assembly to the local hase house (Blue Ridge Diesel here in Salem, VA) and have them make up the hose assembly. There seems to be some uncertaintity about the fittings so I figure they can match them for me.

Back