Did I break the trans

ridgerunner

:eek: My SC had a stiff shifter (89 auto) but shifted to all gears. Today I started it too back it up and it wants to go forward in any shifter postion. The fluid is full.
A few nights ago I was playing around power braking in the driveway :confused: :(

Sounds like you broke a shifter cable. Have someone move the shifter and look under the car and see ir the shift lever on the trans moves. If it doesnt you have a bad cable ifthe lever moves on the trans:(

Are you sure that's park and not neutral? Being able to remove the ignition key does not necessarily mean that you are in park - the ignition key cylinder might be bad.

It's going into park and seems to shift past all gear postions but will only move foward :( what cars can I find a trans in that will fit

did u try looking at the shifter cable for movement like garsc said ?

for your year a direct repalcement tranny would be any one from an 89-93 AOD.

Last edited:
you could have jamed something up inside the valve body of the trans itself. I had an older T-bird "Elan" (Yuck!) with an auto trans. I down shifted from overdrive into 1st/low while going something like 60 on the freeway and doing hard braking. It downshifted nice and hard and even locked up the tires a bit.

But.... when I went to accelerate again and attempted to go faster than 3rd gear (or whatever i was in) it just wouln't up-shift. Well, when in doubt, I just used to gas the car. ( I know, it's stupid ). However, I gunned it and it finally upshifted at like super-high rpm's. From then on, the car continued to drive like normal.

I'm not saying that'll work for you too, but, it's less labor intensive than changing the valve body. However, that's pretty easy compared to swapping the entire trans.

Back