refill Auto tranny where?

jookycola

again not having an owners manual sucks. where do i refill my 90 SC's auto tranny fluid? my transmission is slipping for a minute or two first thing in the morning. Other wise no other problems at all after that. A mechanic i spoke to said check the fluid...it's slightly low so i thought i'd add some and see if that fixes it. I just have no idea where the fill area is.

The dipstick you pull out to check the fluid is the same place to fill it.

Pull dipstick insert funnel and add trans fluid.
Make sure to check the level with the car warm.

Good luck and dont over fill it.

Ed.

Last edited:
looks like i'm a dipstick.
LOL
thanks guys. It says don't fill if the hash-marked area has fluid...but it's a bit under that area is that good or bad?

Documentation

I'd go on the "wanted" forum, and advertise for an owners manual packet. I'll bet someone has a spare they'd send you for postage costs. It really is the primary source document for these cars. It's amazing the amount of good information that is contained in the owners manual once you read it thouroughly. After that, get the FSM and EVTM for your year, and you'll be an expert in no time.

JD

excellent idea bro, thanks i'll do that.

otherwise i put in a quart of merc juice and it runs like a champ. I went to vegas about 2 weks ago and was following my buddy home back to L.A. and he decided to do 100mph all the way back in his Tahoe...so i followed. The T-bird was awesome, 100mph and floated on air like it was nothing. But i guess that was a bit rough on the tranny so it burned off a little fluid. it's the only thing i can think of why it would be low.

I don't think it burned off any fluid. More likely there is a small leak on the cooler lines, or seaping around the pan. If the tranny got hot it might have blown some fluid out the vent, but that would not be a good thing :eek: ... As far as filling, you want to get the level above the full mark on an AOD. Check the level with the engine running at idle (warmed up) and add fluid until it reaches the "Do Not Overfill" markings on the stick. This appears to be overfilled, but there was a factory tech bulletin issued years ago that suggested this (it corrected a slight "cold tranny" slip condition I had).

Back