Addico Rear Sway Bar size..?? Help..

mike884_2

Alright guys, well I found out my rear anti sway bar is cracked pretty badly. I am planning on getting an addico model from Summit Racing as they come as a whole kit , now I have a 3.8 might have some mild add ons. Should i go for the 1 1/4bar or the 1 3/8's bar. The front bar will probably stay stock. I read some old posts and saw things about stress cracking, and lots of oversteer with the bigger bar? Need some help as i put in a hold order at summit for the bigger bar for tomarrow. any input appreciated thanks!

I don't think you want a bigger bar in the rear for a car that's going to be a daily driver. depending upon which year you have, there are different sized anti-sway bars. If you're not re-doing the entire suspension, you could just pick one up for cheap at a junk yard or even over ebay or right here on the parts section of the forum and save yourself a lot of money. You can get replacement bushings at Autozone or any other parts store.

You can always change out the rear bar if you do replace the front one later on. But, it's almost imposibble or it IS impossible to change out the front bar w/out removing the motor? I don't remember.

If you ARE changing both, I'd be hard pressed not to recommend the bigger bars. However, you will have serious issues upon entering driveways at at angle. What I mean to say is that you'll be picking up one of the rear tires b/c the bar is sooooo stif.

If your only going with mild bolt ons I would think about leaving it a stock or maybe just one size over stock. 1 1/4 might not be what you want for a faily stock car. The more you change in one area the more w you e will have to adjust in other area. Make sure your bushings are all in good condition the right tires and feel it out. Give it some thought. Is you car lowered any? That's also something to take into consideration. If you need help drop us a line.

Spinningwheels-sc@earthlink.net. We're distributors for Addco. Consultation No charge.

well i went and purchased the 1 1/4 addco sway bar, put that on, and oh boy i love it! It handles and rides like a completely different car, its amazing. Drives like a go-kart (almost lol) Even though its a daily driver, i think it was a much needed upgrade,the handling is so much more crisp now.

Back