pulling the crank pulley to replace water pump ?

thunderkid84

along with the motor mounts i went to replace the water pump. seemed like a very simple job. i got all the bolts out except for one. the one right above the crank pulley is the last one i need out and it looks like theres an extension with a bolt attached to the crank pulley(where the little BTDC numbers are).

how in the hell do i get this water pump off ??

another genius move by ford engineers !!!

thanks

Remove power steering pulley, remove bracket from ps pump to water pump and throw in trash, remove water pump pulley, and remove all the bolts and studs, and then pry the water pump off the timing cover.

the heads are already pulled off so everything is out of the way.

SCOTT : read what i wrote. it looks like there a bolt connecting the water pump to the crank pully. the bolt is on the bottom middle of the pump.

3.8L Engine

See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Properly drain the cooling system into a suitable container.

Remove the cooling fan and fan shroud, as outlined earlier in this section.

Release the belt tensioner, then remove the accessory drive belt(s).

If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, remove the idler pulley bracket and air conditioner drive belt.

On engines with a Thermactor®, remove the belt.

Unfasten the bolts retaining the water pump pulley to the water pump, then remove the pulley.

Remove the power steering pump pulley and remove the water pump-to-power steering pump brace.

On some supercharged models, it may be necessary to remove the charge air cooler to gain access to the power steering pump pulley.

Detach the water bypass hose at the water pump.

Disconnect the heater hose at the water pump and disconnect the lower radiator hose. On SC models, disconnect the oil cooler inlet tube and hose.

On SC vehicles, remove the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor upper shield.

Unfasten the bolts retaining the water pump to the engine, then remove the water pump from the vehicle.

Fig. 2: Unfasten the retaining bolts, then ...

Fig. 3: ... remove the water pump from the vehicle

To install:

Clean any gasket material from the pump mating surfaces. On engines equipped with a water pump backing plate, remove the plate, clean the gasket surfaces, install a new gasket and plate on the water pump.

Fig. 4: When cleaning the gasket surfaces be careful not to gouge the surfaces, which may cause leakage

Coat both sides of the new gasket with a water-resistant sealer, then position the gasket on the water pump housing.

The use of gasket adhesive is recommended.

Install the water pump, then tighten the retaining bolts, in the sequence shown in the accompanying figure, to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).

Fig. 5: The water pump retaining bolts must be tightened in sequence to prevent possible coolant leakage

On SC vehicles, install the CKP sensor upper shield.

Connect the water bypass hose at the water pump, then tighten the clamps (and oil cooler inlet tube and hose).

Attach the heater hose at the water pump and connect the lower radiator hose and tighten the clamps.

Install the power steering pump pulley and water pump-to-power steering pump brace. If removed, install the charge air cooler.

Install the water pump pulley and tighten the retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).

On engines with a Thermactor®, install the belt.

If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, install the idler pulley bracket and air conditioner drive belt.

Install the accessory drive belt(s).

Install the cooling fan and shroud, as outlined earlier in this section.

Fill the engine cooling system with the proper type and quantity of coolant. Connect the negative battery cable.

Start and run the engine and inspect for leaks. Check the coolant level, and add if necessary.

the heads are already pulled off so everything is out of the way.

SCOTT : read what i wrote. it looks like there a bolt connecting the water pump to the crank pully. the bolt is on the bottom middle of the pump.

Think about what you wrote! How can something fixed, like the water pump, be bolted to something that rotates, like the crank pulley?!?!?! I believe the bolt with the stand-off that you're referring to (securing the water pump) actually secures the little plastic shield. You should just have to remove the nut, then remove the plastic shield, and then use a deep socket to remove the bolt with the standoff. If you've already removed all of the other water pump bolts, then you should just have to bump the snout of the water pump with a rubber mallet, and it should come loose.

Good luck!

Sean

Think about what you wrote! How can something fixed, like the water pump, be bolted to something that rotates, like the crank pulley?!?!?! I believe the bolt with the stand-off that you're referring to (securing the water pump) actually secures the little plastic shield. You should just have to remove the nut, then remove the plastic shield, and then use a deep socket to remove the bolt with the standoff. If you've already removed all of the other water pump bolts, then you should just have to bump the snout of the water pump with a rubber mallet, and it should come loose.

Good luck!

Sean

ya ya....i didnt mean the actual pulley lol. my digital camera isnt workin so pics are out of the question. i think darkstar pointed out my problem

i hope removing that CPS is an easy job. i thought water pumps were supposed to be easy fixes !!??

3.8L Engine

See Figures 2, 3, 4 and 5

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Properly drain the cooling system into a suitable container.

Remove the cooling fan and fan shroud, as outlined earlier in this section.

Release the belt tensioner, then remove the accessory drive belt(s).

If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, remove the idler pulley bracket and air conditioner drive belt.

On engines with a Thermactor®, remove the belt.

Unfasten the bolts retaining the water pump pulley to the water pump, then remove the pulley.

Remove the power steering pump pulley and remove the water pump-to-power steering pump brace.

On some supercharged models, it may be necessary to remove the charge air cooler to gain access to the power steering pump pulley.

Detach the water bypass hose at the water pump.

Disconnect the heater hose at the water pump and disconnect the lower radiator hose. On SC models, disconnect the oil cooler inlet tube and hose.

On SC vehicles, remove the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor upper shield.

Unfasten the bolts retaining the water pump to the engine, then remove the water pump from the vehicle.

Fig. 2: Unfasten the retaining bolts, then ...

Fig. 3: ... remove the water pump from the vehicle

To install:

Clean any gasket material from the pump mating surfaces. On engines equipped with a water pump backing plate, remove the plate, clean the gasket surfaces, install a new gasket and plate on the water pump.

Fig. 4: When cleaning the gasket surfaces be careful not to gouge the surfaces, which may cause leakage

Coat both sides of the new gasket with a water-resistant sealer, then position the gasket on the water pump housing.

The use of gasket adhesive is recommended.

Install the water pump, then tighten the retaining bolts, in the sequence shown in the accompanying figure, to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).

Fig. 5: The water pump retaining bolts must be tightened in sequence to prevent possible coolant leakage

On SC vehicles, install the CKP sensor upper shield.

Connect the water bypass hose at the water pump, then tighten the clamps (and oil cooler inlet tube and hose).

Attach the heater hose at the water pump and connect the lower radiator hose and tighten the clamps.

Install the power steering pump pulley and water pump-to-power steering pump brace. If removed, install the charge air cooler.

Install the water pump pulley and tighten the retaining bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).

On engines with a Thermactor®, install the belt.

If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, install the idler pulley bracket and air conditioner drive belt.

Install the accessory drive belt(s).

Install the cooling fan and shroud, as outlined earlier in this section.

Fill the engine cooling system with the proper type and quantity of coolant. Connect the negative battery cable.

Start and run the engine and inspect for leaks. Check the coolant level, and add if necessary.

I see the directions above do not mention a large washer. My '93 has a large (approx 3" diam) washer for the water pump pulley. Anyone know if it goes on the outside of the pulley or between the pulley and pump mounting surface? I think it is the outside since having it inside offsets the pulley from the tensioner pulley by 1/8". The '94 engine I have sitting here has no washer.

I see the directions above do not mention a large washer. My '93 has a large (approx 3" diam) washer for the water pump pulley. Anyone know if it goes on the outside of the pulley or between the pulley and pump mounting surface? I think it is the outside since having it inside offsets the pulley from the tensioner pulley by 1/8". The '94 engine I have sitting here has no washer.

Most people just throw it away I believe

yea my 89 had that big wahser. it was on the outside of the pulley. i kept it cuz i thought the bolts would be too long without it.

i did end up getting the pump off. i just had to pull the plastic cover for the balancer out of the way.

I think the bolt your referring to is just the retaining bolt for the crank pully splash shield. Just take it out and then either remove the two joining bolts for the crank shield and pop out the top half, or if memory serves, you can just bend it enough to pop out the pump. The washer for the water pump goes on the ouside of the pulley. You can discard it, but I don't know why you would since it's not a big deal to put it on. It's meant to spread load on the pulley to eliminate the possibility of damgae to the pulley itself from over torgue on the bolts.

I think the bolt your referring to is just the retaining bolt for the crank pully splash shield. Just take it out and then either remove the two joining bolts for the crank shield and pop out the top half, or if memory serves, you can just bend it enough to pop out the pump.

thats exactly what i did. it just looked harder than it really was.

i put mine on the out side but i guess if you pulley isnt lined up and its more to the inside put the washer on the inside other wise i dont see why you need it but hey im not throwing it out :rolleyes: ;)

I got rid of the washer when I put on my underdrives.

The washer goes on the outside of the pulley. My friend put it on the inside and he started chewing and throwing serpentine belts. Finally realized it was pushing the pulley out of alignment and put it outside and that was the last belt his car chewed up.

Picture attached of the timing cover waterpump bolts. Note that the picture is upside down, showing this from the reference of the crank at the top.

Attachments

• timingcoverwaterpump.gif
    timingcoverwaterpump.gif
    26.5 KB · Views: 58
Back