porting IC tubing

edb2007

I love the stock IC tubing it just goes with it you know...

I want to know if anyone has ported the tubing??

just the top and bottom... if so what type of change did you see?

I just love how the top tube says SUPERCHARGED..... it kicks ~~~....

plus i want to get them painted black with the letters and lines painted red...

I doubt youll notice anything, the biggest restriction isnt really in the tube its the pinch in the sc top. And the only way to help that is to get a raised one. Plus if you opened up the end of the ic tube the inlet of the ic would still be the same size. IMO, If your gonna port something, Id make it worth it. Like the heads or manifolds, or the sc if you know what your doing.

There have been a few people that have sent their IC tubes out to be extrude honed. I suspect there are some gains to be had, but who knows how much.

I porting mine.....I really did not notice any difference. I also polished the outside of the tubes.....what a pain!!!!!!

I ported mine and had em extrude honed it added nothing but mines not a maxed out engine pretty tame setup . maybe on a more radical engine and blower it would help.

Ceramic

I had my IC tubes and raised top ceramic coated, inside and out. Did it in a grey that's close to the original color. Ceramic coating is supposed to act as a heat/cold barrier. How well it works with the lower tube going by the exhaust manifold - who knows?

Also had the raised letters polished - not a show quality polish, but a decent job.

Photos on my members page.

eddie donato
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

how did that work for you?

i was thinking of getting some heat tape and putting that around my manifolds and down the exhaust until its away from the motor...

but for the IC tubing.... i dont know what im going to do.... im thinking of wrapping the lower in that heat tape also to keep a barrier bewene the manifolds and the after IC air... the cooler the better!!!

I doubt youll notice anything, the biggest restriction isnt really in the tube its the pinch in the sc top. And the only way to help that is to get a raised one. Plus if you opened up the end of the ic tube the inlet of the ic would still be the same size. IMO, If your gonna port something, Id make it worth it. Like the heads or manifolds, or the sc if you know what your doing.

i am porting the heads, intake, SC, and manifolds.... just looking for the best performance without spending 1200 on a FMIC!!!

A double IC with a fan works pretty damn good. I think I'm going to wrap my lower tube in reflective header wrap. Good luck wrapping a manifold, not as easy as a long tube header.

ofcourse its not as easy as a long tube header.... but it can be done... im on a tight budget... just want to get the basics done and get the motor in...

I wouldn't waste time trying to port the inside of the tubes. However, there are a couple of areas that should be cleaned up. Just look at the very end of each tube. Sometimes there is a lip there because the two halves of the casting did not match up perfectly. The one place I found a lip on mine was on the return plenum, where it connects to the lower IC tube. I would say that it was about 3% blocked by the casting flaw, so I think that is a worthwhile modification. If you do this one, I would take the plenum off the motor, because there is no good way to do it without spraying a lot pf aluminum chips.

ok i will for sure check it out.... but as far as porting them i think i will just leave them stock with a double IC... then rig a pusher and puller fan to it

Back