Suggested AOD rebuild parts & mods.

SC Spyder

There seem to be suggested and agreed upon mods for our engines (grouped by stages) but I've searched and have not seen a comprehensive list of suggested mods for the AODs.

I am in the process of gathering parts so I can rebuild my 93 aod (engine will be very lighted moded), car weighs 2700lbs and final drive is currently 3.00 but I have a set of 3:55 on the shelf.

Does anyone have suggestions based on 93 AOD history?

Doug

Lentech also sells the street terminator rebuild kit if you can do it yourself. It's a lot cheaper than paying $2000.00 for them to build it.

You should get a solid one piece input shaft, 2400 rpm non locking torque convertor, street terminator valvebody, and the biggest trans cooler you can fit under the car. Also a deep pan (if you have ground clearance) or at least a drain plug kit would make servicing it easier in the future.

If you have a shop to do the rebuild, ask them what they would charge if you supply the parts.

B&M sells an AOD Transkit that has some stronger internal parts and clutches but the Lentech will be the strongest and matched with the valvebody should be all the trans you'll ever need. Unless you plan on running faster than a 10 second 1/4 mile the lentech spec trans and lentech valve body should be more than fine. It's very durable and as long as the TV cable is set right you shouldn't have to worry about it breaking.

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodoverhaul.html
http://www.lentechautomatics.com/aodpricing.html

Street Terminator AOD is rated to 700 hp.

I have a bone stock AOD with a lentech street terminator valve body, b&m drain plug kit, and the TV cable set to max. It will get 2nd gear rubber at anything over 1/4 throttle and at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle it will get 3rd gear rubber on the upshift.

Mine shifts out of 1st under light throttle at 15mph and out of 2nd into 3rd at 30mph. It shifts into Overdrive at 55mph as soon as I lift off the gas. If I keep my foot on it it will hold 3rd until I let off so it can shift. It prevents WOT shifts to OD which can burn up the trans fast.

I change my filter and fluid about once a year and use regular dexron III fluid. I currently run a stock torque convertor but I want to upgrade it to a non lockup unit with a higher stall speed and change the rear end ratio to a 3.73 or 4.10 since the SC is heavy. In your spider I'm not sure what rear end you are using so I can't recommend anything.

Last edited:
You can also swap in a Planetary gearset from a 4r70w which has a wider gear ratio.
Ford sells a kit for the AOD, or you might be able to find one elsewhere.

- Dan

Clarification, this is not a Thunderbird body, only it's heart & soul

I failed to point out that this is a street car. :eek:

While I expect to take it to the 1/4 mile a few times (need to put my sons and son in law in their places) I am not planning on running the car much. It's intended use is a good weather driver/cruiser.

The engine is only going to be moded enough to deal with it’s short comings. 5% jackshaft, CAI, ported exhaust manifolds with true dual exhaust & crossover and a little intake & head porting. It will NOT have a larger throttle body, not be camed, nor juiced or get high lift rockers.

So, the mods for the transmission I am looking for are longevity corrections. I will include a shift kit but not for racing purposes.

See my profile for further info on the car.

Last edited:
Yeah the 3.55 gears will really get you up and going. The gearset in the transmission would amplify that a little more.

You could always use a transmission cooler if you didnt plan on adding one already.

- Dan

The 2" OD band comes on the 4r70w Transmissions .. but I believe it is applied to the Reverse drum. Not sure how this would work in an AOD ..

The planetary is further down in the transmission .. regular AOD and AODE planetary isnt as good for high torque / speed applications.

- Dan

Back