PDA

View Full Version : Temp and Gauge Needle questions

perm102
02-27-2007, 01:12 PM
Hello everyone, two quick questions.

1) I am running a 180* tstat on a 92 SC auto. The temp gauge (aftermarket)will read 185 to 210 or so constantly. The low speed fan comes on around 211 so I think everything is working fine. I was just curious about the jump in temperature. I guess that is pretty normal?

2) I replaced my gauges with white overlays and like a dummy didn't mark where the needles were. So, where do the needles rest with engine off key on?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Scott Long
02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
1. Your fan needs to come on a lot sooner to make use of the 180 degree t-stat. There's a few ways to do that. Me personally I'd cut wire 14 on the IRCM. Makes the low speed fan run when the key is on.

2. With the Key on engine off, the oil gauge would be at the bottom, the gas gauge would be wherever you have the gas in the tank at, and the temp gauge reads the coolant temp, so if the car is cold and you turn the key on the temp gauge is bottomed as well. Tach and speed are at the bottom with the engine off.

perm102
02-27-2007, 07:33 PM
Scott, thanks for the reply.

I did cut the 14 wire because I thought the IRCM was bad. I didn't know it shouldn't even come on until 211 or so. When I had the low speed running, the car was constantly at 160 or lower. I figured that it wasn't necessarily good for it to run that low. I guess with a tune it can adjust the fan control? Does your car run that wide in the temp range?