M5R2 rebuild

90coug

I'm going to replace the synchros in the Cougars transmission.... I was on drivetrain.com and found the rebuild kit but what exactly comes in them? Should I just buy the synchro kit and call it good? I would like to repalce everything in there but it's a bit $$$. I also saw that my second gear is scorned a bit, think I should replace it?

thanks

REBUILD KIT
MRK100214 Master Rebuild Kit 1988-95
$448.88

K100214 Rebuild Kit 1988-95
$336.60

SYNCHRO RING KIT

SK214 Synchro Ring Kit 6 pieces with 1st-5th Lined 1988-95
$331.74

MISCELLANEOUS KITS

K100214-8 Reseal Kit 1988-95
$47.53

K 301414 Small Parts Kit Not in K100214 1988-95
$132.00

METAL CLAD SEALS

301092 1 Front Seal 1988-95
$10.00

45551B 1 Rear Seal 1988-95
$10.08

Make sure you call them. When I was looking for parts a couple months back they were getting pretty hard to find.

Everything listed there will rebuild the whole tranny. No use in getting just the syncro rings, as you have to disassemble it completely to replace them all. The reason I say get everything is when you go to remove the input shaft, there is a plastic oil slinger that is almost impossible to remove without breaking it. It is one of the "small parts" in that kit.
Their syncro rings are not lined, solid brass. I just purchased a kit from them back in December.
Also, get the GM syncromesh tranny fluid .... it works fantastic!
Good Luck with the rebuild.

i got a master rebuild kit from southern gear for $330 or so, i called 2x and they could not come up with a clear price they asked what i was qouted the last time i called:)

The master rebuild kit from Southern gear doesn't include the syncro's, those are a seperate set.

I'll be ordering a full set of parts soon as well. Anyone one know what steel the gears are usually made of? I've be considering having the gears and shafts of the tranny cryo-treated.

You know what the sad part is, 2 years ago I bought the master rebuild kit for a 93 AOD and with the converter it came to about $325.00. I guess they just didn`t make to many Mazda 5 speed trany`s so the parts are rare now:rolleyes:

If it's high carbon steel, it makes since to try and cryo cool it. But if it's low carbon steel the value is low.

One other thought is the mikronite process that crane cams purchased. They've used it on rear gears to toughen them up.

My concern is output shaft breaking and any internal gear damage.

The master rebuild kit from Southern gear doesn't include the syncro's, those are a separate set.

I'll be ordering a full set of parts soon as well. Anyone one know what steel the gears are usually made of? I've be considering having the gears and shafts of the tranny cryo-treated.

mine did came with everything front to rear, including syncs.

That's changed then. I called southern gear. Master rebuild kit didn't include syncro's. That was a $300 extra charge.

Back