Broken Key In Ignition

Supercoupe218

well....i went out to start my car for my buddy after school....he had not seen the car yet and wanted to check it out..so i started it and we talked for a few..then i went to turn it off....and shut it off and went to pull the key out and snap :mad: ive tried pulling the broken piece out but i cant get a grip on it with anything to pull it out.......

So what are my options here? i really want to fix it quick as i don't like the fact your can turn all the electrical on right now and it seems to be to easy for someone to just break a window to F&%@ with it....and our house meets up with a field...so the sooner this is fixed....the better i will sleep at night.....

at this point it seems like im at the point of having a lock smith come out and try and get it out?

Got a set of needle nose pliers?? You should be able to get it out with those, as long as you have it in the right position AND press the key release button on the bottom. When I had my car shipped here from the west coast, when I picked it up the battery was dead and key bent because they couldn't figure out how to remove it, so they left it in thier lot with the key in it in the on position, all because they didn't know about the key release button.... Good luck!

Got a set of needle nose pliers?? You should be able to get it out with those, as long as you have it in the right position AND press the key release button on the bottom. When I had my car shipped here from the west coast, when I picked it up the battery was dead and key bent because they couldn't figure out how to remove it, so they left it in thier lot with the key in it in the on position, all because they didn't know about the key release button.... Good luck!

problem is is broke farther in.....theres nonthing to grab on to.....

theres a key release button? i looked for one and didnt see one?

My 89 had it, and my 90 has it..not sure of others though. It is a white button on the bottom of the steering column. Can't put the ignition into place to release the key without pressing it I believe.. Can't be positive, as it is just a repetitive motion for me now...I don't even think about it, so not sure how it works exactly...

My 89 had it, and my 90 has it..not sure of others though. It is a white button on the bottom of the steering column. Can't put the ignition into place to release the key without pressing it I believe.. Can't be positive, as it is just a repetitive motion for me now...I don't even think about it, so not sure how it works exactly...

OK i think mine had one at one time? there's a hole on the bottom of the steering column..but no release button

Early model 5-speeds had it. Never seen it on an Auto.

How bout some JB Weld on the old key, let it dry, pull it out, get new key?

try a needle or a paper clip.... just enough to get ontop or below the key enough to pull her out...

maybe curve the tip a little bit... it worked for me:D

If you can still turn the tumblers to acc, put a paperclip in the little hole and push in while pulling out on the tumbler assembly. Now that its in your hand you can try to bring it back to off and pick at it or tap it on a counter to get it out. If it dose not come out go to the parts store and pick up a new one with keys about $15.00. Just slips right in, done.

If you can still turn the tumblers to acc, put a paperclip in the little hole and push in while pulling out on the tumbler assembly. Now that its in your hand you can try to bring it back to off and pick at it or tap it on a counter to get it out. If it dose not come out go to the parts store and pick up a new one with keys about $15.00. Just slips right in, done.

i tried this earlyer today...no matter how much i pushed in the tumbler it wouldent come out for me......

or take two needles and curve the tips enough to get around the curve in the key and pull from the top and bottom

Worst Case SC-enario

You can always replace the steering column, and buy the parts-store lock/key set. However, I'd exhaust ALL of the above methods first. On the up-side, you should be able to buy a steering column for peanuts at a salvage yard. And, they're easy to pull.

If you can turn the cylinder, then you should be able to release it from the housing and install the new cylinder set. My money goes with that method..

Good Luck,

JD

i tried this earlyer today...no matter how much i pushed in the tumbler it wouldent come out for me......

Ok you need to turn it just slightly back toward the off pos.
When the paperclip is in the right spot you will feel it depress the small spring and thats when you need to push in and then pull out on the whole assembly.

Im just so used to doing this but it is easy after 1or 2 times. Every now and then I switch the tumbers on our 2 birds just to mess with the wife. Drivers her nuts. The keys look compleatly different. I tell her she`s losing it:D :D :D

I thought your key had to be in the "run" position for this to work? If you stick the paperclip or other object in the hole and slowly turn the key towards run, you should feel the paperclip go deeper in the hole as the key reaches the position. With it in "run" you can then pull it out provided you pressed the paperclip in hard enough. At least thats how mine swapped out last year.

If you are worried about somebody messing with your SC while you are getting this problem fixed, you can take the battery cable off when you park the car......

I thought your key had to be in the "run" position for this to work? If you stick the paperclip or other object in the hole and slowly turn the key towards run, you should feel the paperclip go deeper in the hole as the key reaches the position. With it in "run" you can then pull it out provided you pressed the paperclip in hard enough. At least thats how mine swapped out last year.

Oh I think your right. Have not done it in awhile

Back